HDD Diagnostic software RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all.

I ran out of hdd space and quickly needed to find another hdd, called a friend and got myself a 300gb hdd as a temporary fix till i get some cash to buy me a new hdd. However, i do not trust this friend in handling hardware and i want to check if the hdd is healthy so i wanted to run a software like this: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

But i dont know if the demigrator like me to run these kind of software as i added the hdd to the pool before i thought of testing the hdd. nyone know if this is not good to run while the hdd is added to the storage pool?

Kind Regards

dottoss

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:13 PM

All replies

• Honestly, I don't think there are any tools to test hard drives while in the data pool. You should still be able to test it thought w/ the segate tools because TECHNICALLY the hard drive is still seperate. its only as "1" in the pool and everywhere else its not like disk defrag etc. So just try running that tool. the worse it can do is tell you it wont be allowed or able to run etc

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Shut down your server, remove the drive, temporarily put it in another pc and run that software..  That is if you can't get it to work successfully in whs.  Don't turn your whs back on until you put that hd back in it!
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:37 AM