Power Pack 1 Release Candidate Now available on Connect! RRS feed

All replies

• Gongratulations to the Team.

Monday, June 9, 2008 9:30 PM
  • And now for the question that will be eating away at me until the RTM comes out:

To install or not to install?

This would be on my production machine with all of my data, and as much as I am a technogeek and want to see what the changes are, I can't bring myself to jeapordize all of my pictures, videos, music, etc. I would love to turn duplication on but I have to wait.

Must...wait...must...wait...install...NO....wait....
    Monday, June 9, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Smooth sailing so far. I've just downloaded and installed PP1, it went without a hitch. Upgraded all the client connectors and no problem with any of them. There's 6 XP pros, 1 MCE and 1 Vista 32 Home Premium. All appears normal. Will be adding a backup drive tomorrow, more disk space, etc. and seeing if all works as planned.

The dig; about timeSmile Good job on the upgrade. I already feel better just knowing PP1is installed. I've not had issues with the old version of WHS, but have been holding my breath for about 6 months, damn, I sure looked funny, fat cheeks and blue!

Thanks WHS Team!

Cruise
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:08 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

See the Windows Home Server Blog post for more information:

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/06/09/windows-home-server-power-pack-1-public-beta.aspx

I am considering installing WHS and PP1 on a VM.  Will the WHS team be accepting bug reports from a VM machine?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Erik Fair, you probably won't want to bother with this now but I'm using high redundancy to risk manage using the beta on a production system (and have gotten away with it ever since - not a single file lost). When the corruption bug first surfaced last year, I installed extra hard drives on each of the two desktops at home, used them for masters, syncing daily to WHS; nothing goes direct onto WHS and every shared file is therefore a copy. If PP1 beta causes problems, I don't mind reinstalling the system but I won't lose a single file. I'm also betting that the corruption issue has been such a biggie, Todd and the gang won't have released the beta until they're pretty confident of it...
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:14 AM
  • This is true, and I have thought about that very thing quite a few times. If I did not have all of my space wrapped up in the server (3TB) than I would probably do what you say. Oh, and except for the other little fact that the only other machines I have  in the house right now are a laptop and an HTPC. I suppose I could add space to the HTPC, but it's not really worth the effort or cost right now.

But believe me - I am going to be thinking about the upgrade for a while...I have it safely downloaded to my WHS...

Argh!
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  Erik Fair wrote:
    This is true, and I have thought about that very thing quite a few times. If I did not have all of my space wrapped up in the server (3TB) than I would probably do what you say. Oh, and except for the other little fact that the only other machines I have  in the house right now are a laptop and an HTPC. I suppose I could add space to the HTPC, but it's not really worth the effort or cost right now.

But believe me - I am going to be thinking about the upgrade for a while...I have it safely downloaded to my WHS...

Argh!

Not me.  No chance in....you know where.....is PP1 beta (or any other beta software for that matter) touching my production server (especially after reading the known bugs listed here).  I would consider installing on a VM machine (if MS would accept bug reports from it).  Otherwise, IMO, not worth the risk.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:47 AM
  •   First congratulations to the WHS team!!   I sincerely hope all of the fixes and improvements will work as designed.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the known bugs in PP1. I guess WHS team will be very happy if no other bugs are discovered. Personally I still treat the whole of WHS as beta software, even though I have not been affected by the data corruption bug. If the outcome of the PP1 is positive I might change my opinion, however even then I wouldn't trust my most precious /  valuable data to a single machine.

Upon installing I noted that "Delete" button has disappeared from the backup settings window. Apparently WHS team has great confidence in the Repair option

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:53 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

If the outcome of the PP1 is positive I might change my opinion, however even then I wouldn't trust my most precious /  valuable data to a single machine.

I agree. In fact, notwithstanding the new ability to copy the shares onto an external USB (which I've also been doing - periodically and laboriously - anyway), even after PP1 has gone gold, I believe I'll still retain a high redundancy system not unlike what I have now. It's simple, painless and operates at the only level of risk I'm willing to take with our data - as close as I reasonably can make it to 'zilch'...

Oh, and I haven't gotten around to congratulating Todd and the team for the beta release; well done guys, let's hope this is a major step towards realising the potential WHS always had.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:17 AM
  • > Will the WHS team be accepting bug reports from a VM machine?

Absolutely. However, a bug that is reproducible *only* on a virtual machine might receive a bit less love from us Smile

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Got it running hereand it is working great. The 64 bit connector worked like a champ. My 64 bit Vista machine backed up just fine. I have noticed that Vista computers are no longer called longhorn. I did find one thing though. On the server console under settings and resouses it shows Home server with power pack1, but under computer properties it will show home server with service pack 2. Great job on power pack 1. By the way am running it on a HP EX470.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:40 AM
  • It installed without a hitch, the only slight glitch was when I started the setup from the webshare to update my PC's connect client, it couldn't find my homeserver right away (even though I was connected to it via remote desktop), I had to use the manual option, the corretc name was already there and then it downloaded and installed without a hitch.

Thanks to the WHS team for putting this out!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Quick report:

Here also a very quick and easy install on a machine full of add-ins, Voip server and security cams.

I went so quick I thought nothing happened!

Upgrading the connectors is going well too, just one small remark:

The email that the server sends out as a warning is missing the actual links:

On the machine itself it shows the proper message:

The Connector software on X61TABLET must be upgraded. Browse to the following link on X61TABLET to upgrade now: http://NAS:55000

But in the email there is only the info, not the link. This happens with both the warning and the cleared message.

Last year I got hit bigtime with the corruption bug, using Onenote and synctoy but for the last hour Onenote has not been complaining on any of my machines. Finally it starts to look like a normal system.

Great work!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:28 PM
  •  

Having no trouble with the PP1 on my server, but unfortunately my Vista Home Premium x64 won't install the connector software properly. It crashes at the "Finding your server on the network" part, with a "Home Server Discovery has stopped working" message. I'm running it on an administrator account, so I'm not sure why it's happened. Filed a bug report but no solution as yet. Anyone else have this problem?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Will there be a way to install on a french WHS version ? (apparently, it can only be installed on english version)

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:32 PM
  •  BulatS [MSFT] wrote:

> Will the WHS team be accepting bug reports from a VM machine?

Absolutely. However, a bug that is reproducible *only* on a virtual machine might receive a bit less love from us

Fair enough.  (I guess I need to go home and setup my Virtual WHS PP1 now. Smile  )

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:28 PM
  • So far so good.  One small snag though.  After I upgraded both the server and the connector software, the first thing I got was a file conflict issue.  There were desktop.ini files in different folders that had a conflict.  I restarted the server and it works just fine now.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:34 PM
  • If you have questions about Power Pack 1 - please ask them in the Power Pack 1 Beta Forum ...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2139&SiteID=50

The French question has been asked twice already ...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:35 AM
  • I have same problem trying to install connector softeware on computer with Vista Home Premium x64.  I get "Home Server Discovery has stopped working"/  I have searched and can't find any info on this problem.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:10 AM
  • My XP SP3 machines are updating fine.  A Vista Home Premium 32 bit HTPC updated the connector fine.  But I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine as my main PC.  I also get Vista to bomb with the error "Home Server Discovery Stopped Working".  I have tried multiple times, run as admin (its an admin account), suspend Threatfire and other programs (except Symantec Antivirus - but the other Vista PC did that ok).  So the install works ok but it does not finish installing the connector due to the discovery failure.  Ideas?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:14 PM