Windows Home Server 2011 Updates broke my Raid 5! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I logged onto my WHS 2011 earlier and ran the updates. I think it's 8 of them, after restarting the WHS, the Raid 5 is not there in my computer. I can see it in the computer management but the disk is unallocated. 

What is going on? Anyone else has this issue? I just uninstalled the updates and restart my computer, hopefully the Raid  5 is back. My gosh, this is bad.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:30 PM

All replies

• Uninstalling the updates doesn't work =( I will try to reinstall the driver.

Anyone has opinion? Thanks.

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:35 PM
  • reinstall driver doesn't work =(

how come i don't see any restore point in this server? is there even a restore point on WHS? thanks.

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Is this happening on your server, or on a client computer?

In any case, it's not really a Windows Home Server issue, per se. You should consult the documentation for your RAID controller to see if you can figure out what's going on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:45 PM
  • This is the second thread regarding disappearing RAID configs.  I will be the third having this issue.  My current setup as follows

ASUS M4A89GTX Pro/USB3 with onboard hardward RAID with support for RAID 5
    I currently have two RAID 5 configured

- 3 500GB OS load with left over for storage pool
    - 3 2TB Drives divided up into two more additional pools due to limitation with Backups and VHD files - 1.6TB and 2.0TB.

All configured using the RAID chip from the Mother board listed.  I have lost the Second two RAIDs two times now.  The first time it was configured using Disk Manager and a single volume just 4TB.  As soon as I added a USB external disk it blew away the 4TB RAID 5 and left it in the not initialized state.  The second time I used the WHS console which cuts up the disk automatically into 16.TB and 2TB for my configuration.  The USB drive was already setup and detected this time.  I setup the external USB 3.0 dock 1TB drive as the backup disk and as soon as the wizard was complete it blow away both parittions again and left the RAID 5 Not initialized once again.  This is furstrating and worry some to say in the least regarding data integrity...

I have not touched the disk un initialized disk at this point hoping maybe it can be recoverd some how if anyone has some thoughts regarding this issue/bug it would greatly be appreciated.

Also for Chloe` issue I dont believe it was the patch as more of the reboot.  I could be wrong an maybe that was my issue was well.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:39 PM
  • After playing around, reinstalling the drivers and so on. it doesn't bring back the raid. Somehow, the raid got split in two partition and both unallocated. I re-installed Windows 2008 and installed the drivers and hoped that it works, but it does not.

So i gave up and just combine the two partition and format the whole raid. Of course it's not Windows issue, but the updates somehow messed up the raid.

For me, I only lost movies, pictures and apps. Luckily, I have pictures and apps back up on my NAS as well. I guess it's time to get a hardward Raid instead of software raid.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hello,

I just registered to post that I experienced exactly the same issue with a Promise TX8660 Controller Card and 6x2TB WD HDDs in RAID 5 mode. Twice :-(

System:

- WHS 2011 on a separate non RAID SATA HDD connected to the Mainboard Controller

- Promise TX8660 Controller Card with 6x 2TB SATA HDDs on RAID5 for all Shared Folders

After a WHS2011 update + reboot of the server the raid partition was identified as "unknown" and unallocated and needed to be initialized.

First I also thought this had to do with the server update or that one of the HDDs in the Raid was gone but WebPAM (web admin page) of the Raid controller showed no failures in the array so I couldn't reproduce the error. Fortunately I could get all my data back using the app GetDataBack and save it to external HDDs.

Yesterday I recreated the Raid5 Array again and started to copy all data back to the Raid5 HDDs, When I shutdown WHS2011 to change to the second SATA backup HDD (Mainboard controller) and restarted the server, the RAID partition was gone; exactly the same thing, "unknown", "unallocated", need to be reinitialized. This time there were no WHS updates so this has to do with a hardware change + reboot. Uninstalling the Promise RAID drivers or rolling back to another version didn't get help.

So exactly the same issue as Chloé: after a server reboot + hardware change, the RAID partition was gone although the RAID Controller admin page WebPAM show no failures in the array.

It's quite strange that this would be an issue with drivers, I thought, because I don't use the Mainboard RAID controller but a Promise TX8660 Controller Card so I did some more research and found something interesting in the Knowledge Base on the Promise Website: http://kb.promise.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10293.aspx

According to the article, there are some problems with WD Green HDDs on expansion chassis or with enterprise class HBAs. I thought "damn", this is exactly my case because all HDDs are 2TB WD Green HDDs with HBA :-(

I don't know if this is what's causing the issue or if this is a bug/problem with WHS2011 but this makes RAID5 with this configuration unusable because I cannot take the risk of loosing the RAID array after every server reboot.

I'm going to do some more tests today, for example, using Win 7 as OS and see if this issue also occurs with this OS.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:05 AM
  • I just found this post and experiencing the same problem.  I have 5 2tb samsung drives in a raid5 configuration.  Everytime I reboot the raid drive dissappears.  Has anyone figured out what could be causing this? I restored my data for the second time.  I'm about to just go back to freenas.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:23 PM
  • I don't have WD HDD but HITACHI 5 x 2TB.

I've learned by lesson. I copy everything to my NAS first before doing Windows Updates. So far, I have not enocunter any problem with the RAID beside the one incidence I reported above.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:54 PM
  •  

Has anyone found a solution.  My setup is:

GA-880GA-UD3H, Phenom 840 processor, 8GB ram, WHS 2011.  4x2tb WD Green drives, 1x2tb samsung in a 4+1 raid 5 (using integrated hardware raid) solution.  My raid volume is a storage only drive.. I have been using a separate drive as a boot volume.  It was configured as GPT.

I bought hardware two weeks ago to build a WHS.  I have had this problem 2 times in the last two weeks.  I have lost tremendous amounts of time and data.  I am pulling my hair out.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  On both occasions, the raid volume became 'unallocated' after a reboot.  The drive was accessible and healthy, system rebooted, drive unallocated.  Hardware raid through bios and though raidxpert showed volume and all individual drives to be healthy.  

Chloe, i hate to say it, but i would bet you lunch it is going to happen again.  I was in the same boat as you.. I thought that it was a fluke the first time, and for that reason was more confident that it would not happen again.  My episodes occcurred after a reboot of a session where i connected an external drive, copied files, then disconnected.  The reboot was several days later.  Result - raid volume gone.   Some 'server' operating system they have developed.

if anyone has found a solution to this issue, please contact me.   Is Microsoft ignoring this issue?

jasonmichaeljones at hotmail dot com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:08 PM
  • I just had this happen for the second time on an Asrock A790GMH/128M system. The system was using the built-in AMD chipset RAIDXpert in RAID5 mode. I found no solution the 1st time & lost some data. Note that the RAIDXpert technology is OEMed from Promise Technology.

This time I had just copied the data from another RAID5 array on a different AMD 790 system so that I could dissamble that array & turn the other system over to my wife. The system whose ~3TB logical disk became "Not initialized" had NOT been rebooted and earlier today I had copied a "Recorded TV" directory from this same system. So the RAID5 logical disk had been GOOD earlier today

This is VERY, VERY annoying (putting it mildly)

Anybody have any suggestions/help???

• Edited by vkristof Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:40 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Oops it did it again! 

I ran update and restarted the server, now the Raid 5 is gone again. Sigh. Last year, I lost all data in the Raid 5. I guess this time is the same. I cannot believe what happened. The last few updates went fine. 

Ugh!!!

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:10 AM