MSI Install - Service Startup Causing a Boot Loop? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7

I created a service executable in C++ and made an MSI with InstallShield 2014. I added the needed runtimes for the service and go through the MSI install process. Service starts fine, works great, everything is behaving as expected.

I initiate a reboot to ensure the service behaves as normal.

After the reboot a dialog pops up (Presumed from MSI?) that a reboot is required again. Strange it didn't ask before the reboot, but clicking yes to this dialog shuts down the system.

On THIS boot up the system goes through the windows start up and is about to login to the user with the login screen appearing, but then suddenly the system reboots, and it will continuously do this.

Loading last known good configuration allows you to login again, but the same "Reboot REquired" dialog appears, and clicking yes restarts the boot loop failure.

How can I tell what is happening that is requiring the reboot? How can I debug what is causing windows to suddenly shutdown and reboot?

If I install everything and never tell the MSI to start the service, everything is fine.

As for the service itself, it literally just connects up to SCM and does little else. It's basically a framework to actually fill in the functionality.

Hoody Hoo!

• Moved by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:20 AM 3RD API Related
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hello RevenantCoder,

For issues regarding  InstallShield 2014, it is beyond the scope of our support, you could post it to:

https://community.flexerasoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?133-InstallShield

Thanks for your understading.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:42 AM