Unable to install remote computer RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS for over year now. I'm trying to install a new computer to WHS. The install goes to enter my server password which I do. When trying to log into my WHS the error message saying the operation cannot be completed at this time. I can log onto WHS from any one of the other computers so I know the server is running. Any ideas?

Marion

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:41 PM

Answers

• Here is what I did to get it to work. From my computer I logged into the share and copied the WHS connector install exe file and moved it to the troubled computer. I executed the exe file from the troubled computer and it installed the connector fine. I am backing up as we speek.

Problem solved. I would like to thank those that responded to my problem The suggestion Olaf gave set me in the direction to resolve this. Thank you.

Marion

• Marked as answer by marion babich Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:55 AM

All replies

• Check the time, time zone, and date on your server, the computer you're having trouble with, and a computer that you're not having trouble with.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:07 PM
  • The WHS had the wrong time zone. Fixed that but still cannot connect. The troubed compute says connecting to WHS then trys to  download from it but then says the operation cannot be completed at this time. I downloaded the toolkit and everything seems to be ok there. Is there a setting I'm missing?

I have WHS installed  on 5 computers with no problems.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Also, I've had WHS installed on the troubled computer in the past. Just haven't used it until today.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Would this have anything to do with this issue? I had WHS installed on the troubled computer. I had to reinstall WHS and never reinstalled connector on the troubled computer. Is there a way to uninstall WHS connector on the troubled computer then do an install?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:44 PM
  • After you corrected the time zone, did you also correct the time? With only changing the time zone the clock jumps ...

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Yes I did reset the clock. It was an hour off but corrected now. Is there a setting I'm not seeing? On the other 5 computers the install went flawless.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Maybe rebooting both server and client would help?

When did you install the previous machines - much earlier or also recently?

A 3rd party firewall on client side (i.e. from a security suite like Symantec AV, wrong network settings or some application reconfiguring IIS installed on the server can affect the installation, as well as removal of the Home Server Connector Software folder from the software share.

Can you see any related errors, warnings or informations in the event log of the server or the client around the time of the failed installation attempt?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:41 PM
  • The event viewer on WHS said application error and the catagory said error code 100. Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Here is what I did to get it to work. From my computer I logged into the share and copied the WHS connector install exe file and moved it to the troubled computer. I executed the exe file from the troubled computer and it installed the connector fine. I am backing up as we speek.

Problem solved. I would like to thank those that responded to my problem The suggestion Olaf gave set me in the direction to resolve this. Thank you.

Marion

• Marked as answer by marion babich Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:55 AM