Running a small game server from home. RRS feed

• Question

• I built a PC to run an online game from home. Intel i7 920, 6 gigs, 500gb.... I run an old game that does not require much power or connection speed. I tried to run Win. server 2003 but ran into driver issues with dual video cards and MB driver issues. I installed Vista Ult. and am running the game now.
    I want to add another game and will need to be able to run both at the same time.  I need an OS that will allow each game to access via the same IP and (maybe different ports)...
    With the internet connection speeds increasing at homes now, What is the best approach to running a small gaming server at home??? I would like to use it to provide access to the internet for the other 2 computers I have on my home network too.  The gaming PC has dual NIC's. 1 is hooked to cable modem. can I run the other to a switch for other computers on system....  I know these are BASIC network questions, but searching to find answers to basic stuff is impossible to get answers too..... Thanks....

PS..... Basic step by step ideas and instructions would be helpful too.... I thought about Vitural Servers maybe???  I dont know.... what would be ideal and easy to manage what I am tring to do????
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:33 PM

Answers

• I built a PC to run an online game from home. Intel i7 920, 6 gigs, 500gb.... I run an old game that does not require much power or connection speed. I tried to run Win. server 2003 but ran into driver issues with dual video cards and MB driver issues. I installed Vista Ult. and am running the game now.
    I want to add another game and will need to be able to run both at the same time.  I need an OS that will allow each game to access via the same IP and (maybe different ports)...
    With the internet connection speeds increasing at homes now, What is the best approach to running a small gaming server at home??? I would like to use it to provide access to the internet for the other 2 computers I have on my home network too.  The gaming PC has dual NIC's. 1 is hooked to cable modem. can I run the other to a switch for other computers on system....  I know these are BASIC network questions, but searching to find answers to basic stuff is impossible to get answers too..... Thanks....

PS..... Basic step by step ideas and instructions would be helpful too.... I thought about Vitural Servers maybe???  I dont know.... what would be ideal and easy to manage what I am tring to do????

This forum is for Windows Home Server.  You should try posting your question in the Windows Server forums instead.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:48 AM