XP Home/Professional formating issues. PLEASE HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Recently I had to format my laptop because of a virus. I didn't have a XP Home edition CD so I borrowed my friends Professional CD and reinstalled windows. I do however have a license for Home edition writen underneath my laptop (Windows XP Home Edition, Acer Incorporated, is says on the label) but I can't use that key when I install Pro! And when I use the Pro key I have the validation tool tells me it's been blocked when I try to run Windows Update!?

Please help me, really need to get my computer running ASAP..

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:46 AM

Answers

• Spruce,

Please contact Acer customer support to purchase a set of Recovery CDs/DVDs for your exact model of computer.

If they cannot help you, try a vendor that specializes in Recovery CDs such as www.restoredisks.com.  Or, search online and auction sites for what you need.

You can also borrow a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home from a friend and use it plus the Product Key on the CoA on the laptop to install XP Home, followed by a Telephonic Activation.  As you have discovered, using any CD other than a genuine systembuilder/OEM CD will result in XP Setup rejecting the Product Key or may result in activation issues.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:58 PM

All replies

• Spruce,

Please contact Acer customer support to purchase a set of Recovery CDs/DVDs for your exact model of computer.

If they cannot help you, try a vendor that specializes in Recovery CDs such as www.restoredisks.com.  Or, search online and auction sites for what you need.

You can also borrow a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home from a friend and use it plus the Product Key on the CoA on the laptop to install XP Home, followed by a Telephonic Activation.  As you have discovered, using any CD other than a genuine systembuilder/OEM CD will result in XP Setup rejecting the Product Key or may result in activation issues.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Caros amigos podiao me dar o programa do xp professional com o codico para instalar no meu computador porque o meu computador teve uma avaria instalaram o programa xp professional mas nao tem codico , eu sou uma pessoa defeciente e nao posso comprar o programa porque a reforma e baixa desde ja agradeço      Luis  Estácio
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Luis Fernades Estacio,

Unfortunately, the WGA Forum is able to provide support in English only.

Please repost your question in English, or perhaps ask a friend who speaks and writes English to assist you. 

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:25 PM