OCS Database RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello guys,

In my lab we are installing OCS 2007.As a part of SQL DBA,what are the things(backups & maintainence) do i need to take care of after the installation?I heard that 3 databases are going to create on sql server.Can anybody tell me what are the things do i need to take care? One more thing is we already have some databases on another server on lab ,we are planning to move those databases to this instance where ocs is there,Is it a good idea?? Or else do we need to create another instance and move all the databases to here??

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:18 PM

All replies

• OCS requires it own dedicate instance.  If you want support from MS, do not put any other databases within the instance.  Aslo, do not alter the permissions or SQL security group membership created when the instance is made.  For the most part, OCS does its own database maintenance (every 2 hours by default I believe).  There is little in the database that cannot be easily re-created except user's contact lists.  Download the OCS command line document and look for the section on backing up the database.  There is some Forest and Pool specfic information held in the database that you may want to backup as well.  I would suggest (i.e. Microsoft would suggest) that you back up the following on the following intervals.

Forest Specific Information - Monthly

Pool Specific Information - Monthly

Users Contacts Lists - Weekly

That is all you need to do.  Regular SQL backups may not be a bad idea, but if you ever have to do a restore, it can be very challenging.  The RTC and RTCConfig are cross chained and some restores break this.  Make a vbscript or batch file and schedule it to run on a weekly basis to backup the user's contacts.  This is the most important piece and is needed if you have to force move a user to a new pool.  Use the DBIMPEXP.EXE program to do this.  It is very simple and backs up everything to an xml file.

OCS is designed with the SQL ignorant in mind.  It is made such that you do not have to have a lick of SQL admin experience to maintain the system.  In fact, the SQL savy tend to screw things up trying to do "normal" SQL administration tasks.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:52 AM
  • ""I would suggest (i.e. Microsoft would suggest) that you back up the following on the following intervals.

Forest Specific Information - Monthly

Pool Specific Information - Monthly

Users Contacts Lists - Weekly""

Are these backups will be taken by WindowsAdmins or SQLDBA???,I think the database (RTC,RTCConfig) will be taken by SQLDBA .
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:26 PM