Non-www to www 301 RRS feed

• Question

• www.domain.com was replaced by domain.com over a month ago in MSN. I also lost my #1 keyword ranking at the same time. I then implemented a non-www to www 301 redirect, but the change still hasn't come into play.

My domain is listed in CAPS and without the www. even though there is CLEARLY a 301 redirect from non-www to www.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:15 PM

Answers

• Unfortunatly,  Live Search does not handle 301 redirects well at this time.   I recommend using a 302 to redirect your old URL to the new URL.    This could make the difference.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Hi,

Are you still experiencing these issues? Please let me know what your domain names are and I will take a look. Also,

you may want to join the 301 redirect discussion stickied on the first page of webmaster general discussion.

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:25 PM

All replies

• Unfortunatly,  Live Search does not handle 301 redirects well at this time.   I recommend using a 302 to redirect your old URL to the new URL.    This could make the difference.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:00 AM
  • We had and still have same problem ...

Domain listed as - DOMAIN.COM
    Other pages - www.domain.com/files/etc ('site:www.domain.com' does not return homepage) so it's clear they are treated as different?

1. We effected a 301 redirect from the non-www to www version about month ago, still no change although homepage is re-indexed every 2 days, while all other pages not visited again since the beg of Dec '07.

2. Read this thread and changed that to a 302 redirect yesterday (although in live's help still says we should use 301, anyway)

In Live Webmaster tool, I see at the moment Top Five Pages ...

1. http://domain.com/ rank 5
    2. http://www.domain.com/files/etc all rank 1

Will a 302 redirect sort this issue? We lost ranking in search engines on all www webpages at the beg on Dec '07 and it seems that the problem is all about correctly indexing the whole website.

Will appreciate your comments, thanks.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I implemented the 302 redirect as you said. No difference, my domain is still listed in CAPS without the http://

Please fix this!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Same here, implemented 302 re-direct for nothing it seems. Homepage visited every 2 days ... no results though ;(
    Friday, January 11, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Is there any progress about this issue?
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Are you still experiencing these issues? Please let me know what your domain names are and I will take a look. Also,

you may want to join the 301 redirect discussion stickied on the first page of webmaster general discussion.

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:25 PM