CRM 2011 Command Bar Silent XML RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

We have imported the Adx studio managed solution on our CRM 2013 environment. I can see the custom button on Contact form with name "Create Invitation Code". I have opened the Customization.xml file and found we have custom action for contact form.. So <RibbonDiffXml> was modified.. But when I export the default solution it should also contain the modified <RibbonDiffXml>..

This button is available on contact form.

When we add any custom button we have to modify <RibbonDiffXml> only.. I have added one custom button in one of the solution and found that <RibbonDiffXml> was modified in default solution.

Can somebody help me to understand the reason why it is not being shown in default solution?

Thanks!

Monday, January 6, 2014 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the Ribbon customisation is part of a managed solution, exporting an unmanaged solution will not include the ribbonxml from the managed solution. Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, January 6, 2014 9:19 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

If I will add contact entity in some unmanaged solution and will open this solution through Ribbon Workbench then will modified Ribbondiffxml will be displayed? I am not able to see any modified ribbondiffxml.

Is there any other manual way to find all the custom buttons in the system?

One more thing, I am able to remove the button added through unmanaged solution but I am not able to remove the button added through managed solution. I am able to only hide the button.

Thanks!

Monday, January 6, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

If you load a solution in the Ribbon Workbench, any buttons defined by a managed solution will look as though they are part of the system ribbon - i.e. they won't be included in your solution elements. This is why you can only hide them - you can't delete managed solution buttons - the same way you can't delete out of the box system buttons.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, January 6, 2014 10:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,

I have followed the below steps,

- Created Solution

- Added the contact entity

- Open the solution via Ribbon Workbench

I can see the button in the ribbon workbench available on form but the RibbonDiffXml is showing as it is , it is not modified..  I thought at least modified RibbonDiffxml will be displayed.

Is there any other manual way to find all the custom buttons available in the system?

Thanks!

Monday, January 6, 2014 10:17 AM
  • That is how I would expect things to be. The managed solution button is not in the RibbonDiffXml - it is contained in the System Ribbon definition that the Ribbon Workbench downloads separate to the Solution.

The only way to see custom buttons that I know of would be to query these system ribbon xml files and look for non-MSCRM buttons and commands - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh547439.aspx - or if you are OnPrem you could query the RibbonCustomizationBase table and group by the SolutionId column.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Monday, January 6, 2014 10:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,

Can you please help me with the below scenario?

So I can hide the button on the system where managed solution is installed.. If I want to hide the button on many target systems, exporting the unmanaged solution from environment where I have hidden button and importing on the target system, will it hide button?

How can we achieve that?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Hiding the managed button will create a dependency on the managed solution so you can import it into your target system provided it also has that solution installed.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:55 AM
    Answerer