WHS v1 Support RRS feed

• Question

• I know that WHS v1 support ends Jan 8, 2013, but since v1 is based on Server 2003 R2 and support for it continues until July 14, 2015, will WHS v1 continue to receive security updates until July 14, 2015? 

"On July 14, 2015, all Windows 2003 support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated."

For now and the foreseeable future, I am quite happy with WHS v1, but if security updates will not continue after Jan 2013, then I need to plan for an alternative.  WHS 2011 is not an option, don't even bring it up.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 3:25 AM

All replies

• I think you can depend on Microsoft to provide security related patches to WHS v1 / Windows Server 2003 until the stated date, but I doubt very much they will do anything to improve compatability and stability with Windows 8 clients, as they are beta testing now for WHS 2011.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:24 AM
  • I have no problems with using Win 8, (both previews that have been released) clients with WHS v1.  Connector installs, Console and Shared Folders are available, etc.  Everything works fine with Win 8.  Backups, bare metal restore, etc.  I just need the security patches to continue and I will be a happy camper.

I believe Win 8 is more compatible with WHS v1 than WHS 2011; hard to believe, but true.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I think you can depend on Microsoft to provide security related patches to WHS v1 / Windows Server 2003 until the stated date, but I doubt very much they will do anything to improve compatability and stability with Windows 8 clients, as they are beta testing now for WHS 2011.

BullDawg
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:12 AM