Media Center 2005 "Code 3" error message when seeting up Media Center 2nd time RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to reset up Media Center (2nd try after erros below) I get in about three clicks (just before Internet test) and I get a message saying "Media Center process unexpectantly failed...call tech support Code 3..."

I had previously had an "Ehshell.exe - commonn language run time error" (it has sometime to do with damaged or corrupted files acgenral.dll, and sysmain.sdb - they never did get replaced or repaired - may be related to code 3) I went to MS KB, found KB820121 and it had a hotfix but no link to a download, just a general link to MS support  page.

I also check Miicrosfot Update and saw that Genuine Adavantage Nofication (KB905474) had failed (about the same time MCE stopped recording Monk).

Per KB905474, I deleted the "LegitCheckControl.dll" file, clicked on manual reinstall link and it  reinstalled activeX without a hitch. Reran Microsoft Update and it did another GAV download and said it was successful and restarted PC. MS says copy is legit (Better be as I bought it from Best Buy and it's a legit Gateway!).

How do I fix, or uninstall then reinstall a current and update copy of MCE 2005 for XP SP2?

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 11:27 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry, this is out of the capabilities of the forum to answer questions related to MCE installation. I suggest heading to www.support.microsoft.com

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:44 AM