none
Both MSDN and Q&A quit working for me for several hours today - but JUST for me RRS feed

• Question

• Starting around 1200 MDT and lasting until at least 1600 same timezone, I was unable to use MSDN and Q&A even though I could see that other users were making new topics and other users were replying to them just fine.

I was unable to filter by "My Forums Threads" and "My Threads" - those control panels never even appeared for me.  I signed out and back in.  I tried Firefox and Edge.  I tried opening the forums in "Private Browsing Mode" and logging in again.  I logged in with a different hotmail account and I even changed my IP Address to another one in the static block assigned by my ISP.  In all cases when I viewed a thread I was unable to see the names of the users who posted but I could see their posts, and I could not reply or quote, and I could not open a new thread to report the trouble.

Using Developer Mode to troubleshoot the Javascript showed that something involving "site consent" was the issue.  Whatever JS file was supposed to contain them was evidently not shipping to me, but only me.

An attempt to post this same trouble report to Q&A in that period resulted in Q&A telling me outright that I didn't have permission to post.

I did not receive any email notification indicating that any ban was in place, and after my morning activity (and last few days' activity) I can't imagine any excuse anyone would use for doing that in the first place.  It really seems to be exactly what happened, though.  Problem appears resolved as of 1800 same timezone.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and apparently only to me.  Whiskey Tango Alpha Foxtrot, Moderators?

Before you can learn anything new you have to learn that there's stuff you don't know.

Friday, September 11, 2020 12:07 AM

Answers

• fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 11, 2020 4:23 PM

All replies

• They was a banner on QnA site that they were doing some DR testing this afternoon. Could have been doing something on MSDN/TechNet site as well.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 11, 2020 1:29 AM
  • I don't buy that global changes to either site only affected 1 user.

Before you can learn anything new you have to learn that there's stuff you don't know.

Friday, September 11, 2020 2:28 PM

I'd agree with that. The MSDN/TechNet forums are closing. You can post QnA concerns over here on QnA forums.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/index.html

Friday, September 11, 2020 2:39 PM

I'd agree with that. The MSDN/TechNet forums are closing. You can post QnA concerns over here on QnA forums.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/index.html

When the problem was occurring, I couldn't post at either MSDN or Q&A.  That's not just the whole point of me posting while the problem is (temporarily) resolved, but it's also detailed and indicated to be the whole point of me posting.

It's my contention that some Moderator is screwing around with inappropriate bans.  It explains why "site consent" scripts aren't delivered to just 1 user on MSDN and it explains why "Permission Denied" errors on Q&A occurred for just that same single user in the whole world of MSDN/Q&A users.

Why don't you go ahead and investigate that instead of not reading what was posted and making random suggestions that don't come anywhere close to the real issue?

Friday, September 11, 2020 3:04 PM
  • Moderators do not have any such privilege on either platform. I'd send an email to fissues if you need more.

Friday, September 11, 2020 3:17 PM
  • Moderators do not have any such privilege on either platform. I'd send an email to fissues if you need more.

Thanks for clearing that up.  What is the actual email address you refer to as fissues? 

I spent a long time trying to find a support address or phone number yesterday.  I wound up on hold, talked to a guy who didn't speak anything resembling English to me, and when I asked for an English-speaking rep he forwarded me to XBox support where I'm pretty sure they just put me on speakerphone and pointed a high-powered fan directly at the mic.  2 minutes of listening to FWWWWzzzzSSHHHHHSSSSZzzzzzzzzFWWWWWW with the distant sound of something maybe voice-like was pretty infuriating, especially after the original problem.

Friday, September 11, 2020 4:19 PM
  • fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Friday, September 11, 2020 4:23 PM