none
"Propose as Answer" for your own posts? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Did this 3.4 release remove the ability for a person who posts an answer to propose it as an answer?

I noticed today that when I respond with an answer ... I can no longer click "Propose as Answer" ... but I can still
    propose other people's stuff as an answer.  

Thank you,

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:06 PM

All replies

• This was't intentional. What we meant to do was to keep the OP from proposing as answer (thay can just mark something as the answer to their question, no need for a proposal). We've got a fix that we're testing now.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Matt:

Before you go about fixing this, I personally think it is good for the poster not to be able to propose his/her own response as answer. But I do not really like the feature at all.

Mark as answer, propose as answer, vote as helpful: too many poorly understood features.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:48 PM
  • the problem i see though is

1.) if you don't allow the person answering to propose it as an answer, then it's the responsibility of the thread starter to do so ... and most of them will never come back and mark that their question was truly answered ... thus then you'll have tons and tons of unanswered questions sitting out there forever and ever

i like the idea of the person supplying the answer to also be able to propose it as an answer, because of a couple reasons
    1.) there is still an audit process in place, because the moderator must actually mark that it is really an answer
    2.) we can clear out some  of the hundreds of threads that are truly answered ... but nobody marked them as having a "proposed answer" ... i think that the more people that can propose the answers, the better

i agree that the person who started the thread shouldn't be able to answer their own question (thus inflating their ratings)

as for the "helpful" rating thingy, my opinion is that in it's current state, it doesn't supply much help and could be removed
    • Edited by neonprimetime Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:35 PM re-worded
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:33 PM
  • neonprimetime:

I just don't think that propose as answer is very useful:

1. In my experience, it does not induce the questioner to mark the response as answer.

2. I would hope that moderators have enough expertise to mark as answer without a hint.

3. When I reply to a post, I almost always think I am supplying the answer. Does this mean I should almost always propose my own posts as answer? I just have a problem with responders proposing their own posts as answer, because it is more an indicator of the mind-set of the responder than the quality of the response.

I think it would be better to get rid of propose as answer and replace it with vote as helpful as a first class citizen (not buried in a drop-down with two completely useless features - vote as unhelpful/abusive).

By the way, if the original poster marks his/her own post as answer, no recognition points are awarded.

• Edited by davewilk Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:11 AM typo
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:10 AM
  • dave,

that makes sense to me.   i would say one way or the other would be good ... either use the "propose as answer" feature like i described ... or use the "vote as helpful" feature (not burried) like you described ... but either way we don't need both.

and recognition points don't bother me ... i just need something to do to keep me busy during work, that's the reason i float around and try to answer questions :-)
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:29 PM
  • See this thread http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/web/thread/feb6a3f4-3688-4df3-9a46-71ac4ac1fb66

Not only does the thread consist entirely of the OP's messages, he marked his own reply as the answer. Hoo-rah!

cheers,
    scott

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:36 AM
  • paladun:

Yes, a classic.

Of course, this is Mark as answer, not Propose as answer. I was initially opposed to Mark as answer by the OP, but I think it may have its uses.

But maybe a different symbol for self-marking? Hey, if we got rid of Propose as answer, we could use the blue check.

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:37 AM
  • paladun,

yeah, that's a good example ... but it could be legit too.  if i post a question ... and days or weeks or months go by and nobody responds, but i find the answer and still want to share it with everybody ... to close out the thread ... i should be able to post my own answer and "propose it too". 

I agree of course that I the forum should work in a manner that if you propose your own answer or get your answer marked on your own question you should get ZERO points for it. 
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Actually, I do believe that a poster who provides an answer meeting the criteria posed in the question should be able to propose his post as answer. Quite a few times I have posted a response that answered the OP's question, and even been thanked for it, but not marked as answer! Being able to propose one's own answers would at least provide a subtle nudge to the questioner.

cheers,
    scott

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:45 PM