Virus Scan stuck at 55% RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,
       My onecare virus scanner cannot seem to get past 55% as it seems to stumble at something called "part0007:)" by which I mean it seems incapable of scannning it despite how long I leave it. I have tried quite exhaustively to find this file but have failed to do so irrespective of what search parameters I use. Oddly one care doesnt seem to report a file path while scanning so it's quite hard to actually pinpoint where this file is.

I had thought I tracked it down to the inbox folder of windows mail and subsequently deleted and rebuilt this but to no avail. One care did report finsing a virus in a file called "part0002" which it cleaned, upon examination of the log file this file appeared to part of an attachment in an email stored in the inbox folder in app data/local/microsoft......hence my reasoning to delete the windows email folder.

So any ideas?
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hello Hannibal, if you back up to an external drive try excluding it from the scan to see if it will complete. If the scan completes with the drive excluded delete your One Care backups and perform a new full backup. Other than that I can only suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Thanks Jim,
     I *may* have solved it, i located a folder in appdata that had a number of very old emails that I backed up from an old computer and moved it to the recycle bin, the scan got past the 55% mark this time so I'm guessing it was some very strange corrupt attachement in one of those emails that the search wasnt picking up, glad I got it.

Thanks again,

Happy new year.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Im glad you resolved it. A corrupt file could certainly have caused this issue. Good detective work!
    Jim
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:16 AM