Just installed Windows Home Server but Network Driver is missing.. help please! RRS feed

• Question

• I had an PC at home not doing anything so I decided to wipe it and install Windows Home Server using my Technet subscription.

I've just finished installing Windows Home Server on an old Dell Dimension E520. Issue now is that there is no network access as I can't find any drivers for Windows Home Server and Intel Pro 100/100 825xx ethernet adaptor. I'm also missing the driver for sound but it's not important. Can anyone assist?

I've already tried downloading from ZDNET, Intel, and various other google search results but all drivers point to either Win2K or XP, Vista.. anything but Windows Home Server. Device manager also shows missing SM Bus and Multimedia.

The machine has 2GB RAM, P4 524 3Ghz CPU, 160GB HDD

Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:01 AM

All replies

• There are no Windows Home Server specific drivers from any manufacturer. You will need to use drivers for Windows Server 2003 (32 bit) or drivers for Windows XP (also 32 bit).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I had this same issue.  If it is an old ethernet card, and the drivers have not been updated in the past 3 years or so by the manufacturer, it is probably not compatible with the 64bit operating system.  Go to an electronics store and buy a PCI ethernet card for around 20 bucks.  It will have new drivers compatible with the 64bit OS.  Install drivers and PCI card, and ignore your old ethernet connect.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Hi

I had the same problem when building Windows Home Server on an unused pc - after going around in circles it suddenly came to me - just acquire and use a cheap wireless usb dongle - worked a dream for me - try it.

regards

Rogerbill77

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:15 PM