Shared Music Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to restore my music to the shared music folder.  It places it in \\Server\music, but cannot find it in the directory tree.  Any suggestions?

Again, my thanks

Devil Doc
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:11 AM

Answers

• You could also map that particular path \\server\music for quicker access directly from Explorer. Speaking for myself, I use iTunes and Zune about 50/50. iTunes allows me to directly map to the server as my music folder, but the server has to be turned on and on the same LAN for the mapping in iTunes to work properly - otherwise it thinks that the files it's looking for no longer exist. One of the best design aspects of the Zune software is that (from my interpretation) it actually actively monitors specific folders you tell it to (including network folders), so you don't run into that issue. Regardless, it is possible to tell either program to automatically copy any new music you add to your collection to the server as long as you're on the LAN. If you're using a laptop and regularly add music to your collection and want to make sure it makes it on to your server, you might want to look into duplicating your music on that machine and the server, which you could achieve with a program like Live Mesh (www.mesh.com).
    • Marked as answer by Devil Doc Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:40 AM

All replies

• Am trying to restore my music to the shared music folder.  It places it in \\Server\music, but cannot find it in the directory tree.  Any suggestions?

Again, my thanks

Devil Doc

What do you mean you cannot find it in the directory tree?  How are you copying your music to your server (are you copying from a client using \\server\music or something else)?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:49 AM
  • I would like to place my music in a shared folder on the server.  Where do I place it?

DevilDoc
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I would like to place my music in a shared folder on the server.  Where do I place it?

DevilDoc

If you installed the Connector software on your client, you can open the network shares on your server by using the icon on your server desktop called Shared Folders on Server.  From there you should see multiple shares (including one for Music).  Copy your music to that share.  If you didn't install the software, open an Explorer window and type \\server (replacing server with the name of your server).
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:15 AM
  • You could also map that particular path \\server\music for quicker access directly from Explorer. Speaking for myself, I use iTunes and Zune about 50/50. iTunes allows me to directly map to the server as my music folder, but the server has to be turned on and on the same LAN for the mapping in iTunes to work properly - otherwise it thinks that the files it's looking for no longer exist. One of the best design aspects of the Zune software is that (from my interpretation) it actually actively monitors specific folders you tell it to (including network folders), so you don't run into that issue. Regardless, it is possible to tell either program to automatically copy any new music you add to your collection to the server as long as you're on the LAN. If you're using a laptop and regularly add music to your collection and want to make sure it makes it on to your server, you might want to look into duplicating your music on that machine and the server, which you could achieve with a program like Live Mesh (www.mesh.com).
    • Marked as answer by Devil Doc Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:40 AM