Accessing "Shares" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

Ok where to start, i have a HP MediaSmart ex490 running WHSv1, a problem with one of the drives came amount and i lost the data on one 2TB drive but the 2nd 2TB drive i had still has the data on, i plugged it into my W7 machine and looked at the drive, it comes up with 4 folders $RECYCLE.BIN, DOCS, found.000 & System Volume Information.

There was meant to be a folder with DE where all the data is kept but there isn't. 

I installed a data recovery software Stellar Pheonix and took a deeper look at the drive. I have found my Data that is stored on the drive in System Volume Information\$Txf\shares

The problem is when i try and go into the shares folder i get access denied... if i look at the properties\advanced\owner it says it is unable to display current owner and wont let me get any further.

I am able to extract the data with the recovery software but i have 1800GB of data and it seem to take over 8 hours to copy over 30GB which will take a lifetime if i continue to use the recovery software.

Is there any way to access the folder to take the data via windows and just copy and paste the data from that hard drive to another?!

Even using CMD takeown give me Access is Denied --- and it's just on that folder, every other folder is a success

I am stuck for any ideas and looking around the internet it seems no one else has come across this problem.

Any help would be great. Thanks 

• Edited by Olly Rayns Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:36 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• Try this FAQ on this Forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I've looked at that before and that worked on the original SYS drive i could see the DE folder and copied the data from it but on this hard drive which was just part of the pool in the WHS it doesn't seem to have the same architecture, there is no DE folder just the ones i listed above...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Are you sure that the Data you are looking for was Duplicated?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:45 PM
  • No i didn't have duplication on. On the Sever there were 6 Drives:

1TB Sys Drive, 2TB, 2TB, 2TB, 1.5TB, 1TB

my server went wrong and when i did a recovery it recovered onto the first 2TB drive so all data seems to lost.

I am now trying to recover the data from the 2nd 2TB drive, i know the data is on the drive, i can see it with Stellar Pheonix and i can

recover it using that software but it is so slow its just not worth doing.

I just can't access the data any other way than using that software but have no idea why not.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:15 PM
  • From the sequence of events you described, you had a hardware failure, probably involving the drive you're now having trouble with. This was possibly compounded when you did the server recovery, but it's hard to say for sure at this point. You might even have used the factory reset option instead of the recovery option, in which case you effectively told the server to wipe all your drives. I don't think that's the case, though, if any data was recovered.

As for how to recover your data, start by looking in the folder found.000. If your data isn't there, you're already using what's likely to be your best option, namely data recovery software. You could potentially send the drive out for analysis and data recovery, but that's very expensive, and there's no guarantee you'd recover everything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:35 PM
  • The only option i chose i was the server recovery, i did have multiple problems with the server, and that is what has caused these problems.

The data recovery software just allows me to see through into the "shares" folder, that is all i need to be able to do via windows rather than the software, but it doesn't seem to let me take control of the folder.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Any ideas anyone?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:00 AM
  • ...The data recovery software just allows me to see through into the "shares" folder, that is all i need to be able to do via windows rather than the software, but it doesn't seem to let me take control of the folder.

Windows isn't going to let you access your data that way. The data your recovery software has found is part of the NTFS transactional file system, and is not exposed to end users by Windows. You can continue with the software you're using, or search around for some other recovery software. My recommendation would be to stick with what you've got now, as long as it continues to work (no matter how slowly). Different tools use different methods to access the data on the hard disk, and the more recovery tools/techniques you use, the more likely it is that you will lose data you could have recovered. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:40 PM