none
Mirror Process for External 3TB Drive on WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully mirrored my system drive on my WHS 2011 and wanted to mirror my 1tb drive and 2tb shared folder drives to my 3tb drive external hard drive, which is connected via ESATA connection to my server. The mirroring process has been going on for over 11 hours now. I cannot see the mirroring progress (there is not data showing as to what percentage of how much of the mirroring has been completed). In fact, other than the word “Resynching,” and my external hard drive feeling pretty hot to the touch, there is no indication that the mirroring process is running. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
    Thanks.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:14 AM

Answers

• Leave it alone, it's going to take quite a bit of time. The bare minimum, assuming you're pretty close to saturating your SATA bus, is something like 10 hours. And there's really no chance you're going to achieve that kind of transfer speed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:27 AM

All replies

• Leave it alone, it's going to take quite a bit of time. The bare minimum, assuming you're pretty close to saturating your SATA bus, is something like 10 hours. And there's really no chance you're going to achieve that kind of transfer speed.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Will do. Thank you. I'll post when it the process is finished and let you know how long it took.
    Aviv
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:52 AM
  • I should note that if data transfer rate seems extremely low, you could have a hardware or driver issue with that drive, or with the other drives in your server, or with a disk controller.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Update:  It is now approximately 20 into the mirroring process. The 1TB drive is showing Healthy (i.e. fully mirrored), and the 2TB drive is 54% mirrored. I am now able to periodically see the mirroring completion percentage.
    Aviv
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:07 PM
  • 2nd update: After approxiamtely 23.5 hours all drives (the 1TB, 2TB, and mirrored 3TB) are showing "Healthy."  Thanks for the help.
    Aviv

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:11 PM