product id not valid? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

can anyone please help.

i am a beginer computer wise

I have bought a new pc and tried to install windows xp home but when i get to the wizard screen "input product key" the message "product id not valid appears"  i know i have put the correct product key in.what can this be?

I previously tried to install windows 98 but had lost the product key for the cd so stopped when prompted for the product key, so went and bought the windows xp.but cannot get past the product key stage.

HELP required please

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:08 PM

Answers

• SeanMcMoran,

As I understand your situation, you purchased a new computer with no operating system, and initially tried install Windows 98, but unsuccessfully as you had lost the Product Key for your W98 CD.

Then you decided to purchase a copy of XP Home Edition and install that.

During XP Home setup, you are prompted to enter the 25 character Product Key.  You do so, but the input is rejected with the error message "Product Key not valid."

There are several possible reasons for this problem:

1.  You are accidentally entering incorrect characters.  In the font used for the Product Key, the letter "B" and the numeral "8" can look almost identical.  Please carefully examine your Product Key to make sure you are not making this mistake.

2.  The Product Key is not correctly matched to the license type and edition of Windows you are installing.  Product Keys are matched to both the license type (OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, volume) and to the edition (XP Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center).  You cannot mix-n-match Product Keys across license types or editions.

In order for us to understand the materials you purchased and advise you on the next steps, please have a look at the following pages and report what materials you have:

At this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx, please tell us what Certificate of Authenticity came with your materials: 

At the bottom of this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/listview.aspx?cat=1&page=2, please work thru the steps to classify your XP Home purchase.

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:18 PM