Need Network Key RRS feed

• Question

• for my new laptop to connect with Windows Live OneCare
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:18 AM

Answers

• From the situation as you describe it I think your network was secured prior to installing One Care or configured manually. The easiest way to proceed would be to reset the router to factory defaults. There should be a reset button on the back of the router and depressing it for 30 seconds should reset your network to the set up defaults. See your router documentation for more detail. Another option would be to go to your router set up page using your wired computer, navigate to the wireless security page and copy your network key, then enter the key in the new laptop. You should find the details of how to enter your router set up page in the router documentation. If you use the first method ( router reset ) you can then use One Care on your laptop to configure network security.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:00 AM

All replies

• By the way, when I follow these instructions:

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.

I'm unable to click on "Details" as it is not given me as an option.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Did you use One Care to secure your wireless network? If so, did you follow the above steps on the computer you used to secure your wireless network?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:35 AM
  • I am on the new laptop, trying to connect to a network.  I am at my PC here with you and logged onto Windows Live OneCare.  I have OneCare_7343. 

I have a router (Wireless G Broadband Router) installed (and used successfully with prior laptop) but I understand that my new laptop has built-in wifi capabilities. 

Am I muddying the waters, or is that something that is affecting the set up?

At the laptop, the instructions are to enter "security key or passphrase", yet on my PC within WLOC, with the instructions that I copied and pasted in my prior post, "details" is there, but dimlighted and so therefore I cannot click on it!  I have highlighted the program "Network Local Area Connection" and still unable to select "details".  It seems this elusive passphrase is contained therein.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:44 AM
  • From the situation as you describe it I think your network was secured prior to installing One Care or configured manually. The easiest way to proceed would be to reset the router to factory defaults. There should be a reset button on the back of the router and depressing it for 30 seconds should reset your network to the set up defaults. See your router documentation for more detail. Another option would be to go to your router set up page using your wired computer, navigate to the wireless security page and copy your network key, then enter the key in the new laptop. You should find the details of how to enter your router set up page in the router documentation. If you use the first method ( router reset ) you can then use One Care on your laptop to configure network security.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Thank you, Jim.  I will try that.  I appreciate your assistance!

Songbird
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:15 AM
  • By the way, when I follow these instructions:

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.

I'm unable to click on "Details" as it is not given me as an option.

Note that these instructions can only be followed from the PC that was used to secure the network originally. If OneCare probed your router and found wireless on and not secured, then offered to secure it from another PC, perhaps the old laptop even if that PC was connected via a wire, that is the PC that you would need to use to see the key per the above. It will not appear on the other PCs in your Circle.
    Jim's advice to reset the router and configure security yourself is the best at this point.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:02 AM