Date/time difference preventing validation RRS feed

• Question

• My company is currently setting up a software demonstration that requires us to set the date and time of the operating system to a date and time different than the current date and time.  We're using Windows XP Professional with SP2 installed.  When the date and time is set correctly, the genuine software validation works fine.  Once we change the date, we see the "Your computer may be a victim of softare piracy" notifications.

I have both the web based validation located at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and the stand-alone executable validation located at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498.

The following text is the output of the utility downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012.

Any help you can provide to resolve this issue and prevent the genuine advantage nofitications from occurring will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Josh

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Clock sync error
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-QRYMT-9HJVJ-JHTTM
    Windows Product Key Hash: TnvR+vQs0bYISc3nT0jGnIkzGOQ=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-0422607-23315
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 3b28d740-378b-420f-8440-d03defc0d9df
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 10
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3b28d740-378b-420f-8440-d03defc0d9df</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JHTTM</PKey><PID>76487-640-0422607-23315</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2000478354-1592454029-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Model>195152U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Version>79ETC6WW (2.06 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061120000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>BB913107018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, April 30, 2007 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Joshua,

This is expected behavior with WGA Notification, but I do have some options you can try:

1) If you are only changing the time of day (not the date) you can reset your Time Zone to match the time of day you have set. (i.e. if the time you have set is about the same time as it is in India, then set your Time Zone to GMT+5:30) This will make WGA think you are in India and since the time you have set is Indian time, you will not receive any Not Genuine messages and will be able to access the Windows Update site and/or download files from the Microsoft Download site.

2) If you are changing the time and date (say to something like 1:00pm Sept 2nd 2010) then changing your Time Zone will Not help. In this case, there is nothing we can do to keep WGA Notificatioins from thinking your Windows is Non-Genuine. You can, however, hide the "You may be a victum of Piracy" message, by clicking on the blue star in the system try and following the prompts to hide the message. Unfortunetly, you will need to change the time/date back to correct, before you are able to access the Windows Update site and/or download some files from the Microsoft Download site.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before

posting a question.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Joshua,

This is expected behavior with WGA Notification, but I do have some options you can try:

1) If you are only changing the time of day (not the date) you can reset your Time Zone to match the time of day you have set. (i.e. if the time you have set is about the same time as it is in India, then set your Time Zone to GMT+5:30) This will make WGA think you are in India and since the time you have set is Indian time, you will not receive any Not Genuine messages and will be able to access the Windows Update site and/or download files from the Microsoft Download site.

2) If you are changing the time and date (say to something like 1:00pm Sept 2nd 2010) then changing your Time Zone will Not help. In this case, there is nothing we can do to keep WGA Notificatioins from thinking your Windows is Non-Genuine. You can, however, hide the "You may be a victum of Piracy" message, by clicking on the blue star in the system try and following the prompts to hide the message. Unfortunetly, you will need to change the time/date back to correct, before you are able to access the Windows Update site and/or download some files from the Microsoft Download site.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before

posting a question.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Darin,

Thanks for the information.  I have been able to at least prevent the "You may be a victim of piracy" messages from appearing as you mentioned.  Just for my own edification, is there a specific reason why the validation process seems to occur continually?  It seems like once an installation of the OS validated, it should not have to be validated again.  However I may not be seeing the whole picture.  Again, thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Josh

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:46 PM