none
Windows XP Product Key Finder

Question

• I am an IT Manager and have several computers at my employ and I am trying to determine which Windows XP Professional license is installed on each computer.  I have tried several programs to determine this ie.  Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder, as well as others, however every machine I run it on returns the same product code for each machine.  I do know for a fact that each are different installations with individual product code.

Confused.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:57 AM

Answers

• Soundfoh,

If the installation of XP Pro on each computer is the one it came with from the factory, and these computers are from the same manufacturer, then it would be expected that they would have the same installed Product Key.  The Product Keys on the CoAs would be expected to be different from the installed Product Key and different from each other.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 4:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply yes they are all from the same Manufacturer however they were not purchased at the same time and some of them came factory installed with a later operating system IE WIN2K and were later upgraded to Windows XP Pro from a 3rd Party Software supplier.  Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Soundfoh,

Do this on one computer:

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I am a little confused about the Step 2 portion.  As I said most of the machines were originally bought with an eairler version of windows that what is currently running on it.   The machine you would have me test has Windows XP Pro installed on it but the COA says windows 2000 professional.  So looking to the COA would be not match the current OS. What is the point of Step 2?

Chris

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Each machine should have its own OEM product code if its oem regardless of the OS (XP, 2K, ME) and it will say OEM or the name of the company that sold it to you but the company has to sell alot of copies of windows  to have  their name on the coa.

if the all have the same code something was done wrong or its a license that allows it to be installed on more than one machine.

They also could have used a pre-loader but after its been resealed for the customer. The customer is required to type in their distinct coa and agree to certain terms and conditions of use.

drop me a email if you have any other questions i hope some of this helps.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:11 AM

All replies

• Soundfoh,

If the installation of XP Pro on each computer is the one it came with from the factory, and these computers are from the same manufacturer, then it would be expected that they would have the same installed Product Key.  The Product Keys on the CoAs would be expected to be different from the installed Product Key and different from each other.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 4:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply yes they are all from the same Manufacturer however they were not purchased at the same time and some of them came factory installed with a later operating system IE WIN2K and were later upgraded to Windows XP Pro from a 3rd Party Software supplier.  Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Soundfoh,

Do this on one computer:

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I am a little confused about the Step 2 portion.  As I said most of the machines were originally bought with an eairler version of windows that what is currently running on it.   The machine you would have me test has Windows XP Pro installed on it but the COA says windows 2000 professional.  So looking to the COA would be not match the current OS. What is the point of Step 2?

Chris

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Soundfoh,

Knowing what is on the CoA can help determine whether an upgrade license is being properly utilized, assuming some of the licenses you are using are upgrades.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:44 AM
  • Each machine should have its own OEM product code if its oem regardless of the OS (XP, 2K, ME) and it will say OEM or the name of the company that sold it to you but the company has to sell alot of copies of windows  to have  their name on the coa.

if the all have the same code something was done wrong or its a license that allows it to be installed on more than one machine.

They also could have used a pre-loader but after its been resealed for the customer. The customer is required to type in their distinct coa and agree to certain terms and conditions of use.

drop me a email if you have any other questions i hope some of this helps.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:11 AM