COM+ and MS-DTC application errors after OneCare back up to network location RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm getting following application errors every time I initiate back up from OneCare or if OneCaredoes it on schedule. My pc runs Windows XP Home SP2 and it's version 2.0 OneCare. My other pc and a laptop are still running previous version OneCare and have no problems. Any suggestions?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSDTC Client
    Event Category: (10)
    Event ID: 4427
    Date: 12/16/2007
    Time: 10:14:40 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: T
    Description:
    Failed to initialize the needed name objects. Error Specifics:
    d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:215, Pid: 4076
    No Callstack,
    CmdLine: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: COM+
    Event Category: (98)
    Event ID: 4691
    Date: 12/16/2007
    Time: 10:14:40 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: T
    Description:
    The run-time environment was unable to initialize for transactions required
    to support transactional components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running.
    (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x8004d027)

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:50 PM

Answers

• I think I've got it.

I went through a lot of different forums for COM+ and MS-DTC but couldn't find the same errors. But all discussions were connected to the start up or install of MS-DTC. Then I stumbled upon Microsoft Support article "How to reinstall MS DTC on Windows XP" and after checking component services and seeing that COM+ doesn't have connection to MS DTC I didn't go through whole reinstall but did only install:

At command prompt type %windir%\system32\msdtc.exe -install

And here we go - everything falls in place.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:13 PM

All replies

• Does backup run and complete and you are simply finding these entries in the Event Viewer or is backup failing?

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:23 PM
  • So far it works: I'm not getting any error messages from OneCare. I tried to restore random file and it worked. The only thing is that these errors in event viewer are appearing right after back up is done. 

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:02 PM
  • They may be transient errors. I'll leave this unanswered and perhaps we can find out more about the cause.

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:41 AM
  • I think I've got it.

I went through a lot of different forums for COM+ and MS-DTC but couldn't find the same errors. But all discussions were connected to the start up or install of MS-DTC. Then I stumbled upon Microsoft Support article "How to reinstall MS DTC on Windows XP" and after checking component services and seeing that COM+ doesn't have connection to MS DTC I didn't go through whole reinstall but did only install:

At command prompt type %windir%\system32\msdtc.exe -install

And here we go - everything falls in place.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for the research and posting the solution. If anyone else encounters it, you've helped them, too!

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:25 AM