Streets & Trips 2013 GPX Export is useless with Garmin MapSource RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I Just Installed Streets & Trips 2013 Load a map and Export a GPX attempted to load file to Garmin MapSource and got an error "MapSource foo.gpx could not be imported"

I see this issue and this question has been asked a few times as far back as version 2011 and no one from MS has ever responded.

My guess is no one from MS will respond to this either.

If your having GPX issues I would recommend uninstalling version 2011 -2013 and Install 2010 a least 2010 works with MapSource.

One would expect MS to do a better job. However as a retired MS SDET II I see testing has really gone down hill.

Uninstalling 2013 as it is a complete fail what a wast of money.    

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hi HarleyGuy,

If I recall correctly, the ST2013 exported GPX file contains <time> </time> lines which all need to be removed before import to MapSource can work. 

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Hi HarleyGuy,

If I recall correctly, the ST2013 exported GPX file contains <time> </time> lines which all need to be removed before import to MapSource can work. 

I read that somewhere. Although I am technical enough that I can edit the GPX not everyone would have the expertise. My point is this should just work.

I can just hear it now in the war meeting: Leads read the bug, deem the bug as a pri 3 or a won't fix and blow it off till the next version and the next version till the bug gets lost. PM says yes we can ship with that bug.

We all know MS ships products with 100's of bug in every product and 99% of the time it's all good and no one will ever know.

Some of the teams I worked on we were required to read the forums to if something stuck out, guess this team does not read the forums.

Anyway the good thing is, as an Alum I get a deal on all MS software so it's not a big deal to just chuck this version.

BTW: the text the map to my phone seems to fail as well :)

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:15 PM
  • Microsoft has a bug report issued concerning streets and trips 2011 and 2013 because it corrupts the GPX export file. This is a bug I pointed out to them in working with their level 3 tech support. You can edit the exported GPX file yourself using notepad editing out the lines containing "invalid date and time" which is a real challenge if you have a lot of way points. However, there is a free program online that will do it for you. It can be found here:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

Just import your saved GPX file and convert it from GPX XML to GPX XML. Gpsbabel does all the clean up for you.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thank you for this information. I have been fighting with the Garmin people for a week on this problem, and all they were willing to say is to use their mapping products. Well, their free one (BaseCamp) is simply horrible to use, and I just wasn't eager to spend even more money to buy Map Source to see if that would really work better for me. Used the gsbabel tool you listed and it works great. Many thanks!
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:22 PM