Home server installation help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've recently rebuilt a tower to use as a home server. I have gotten the evaluation version of Ms Home server. However, I do not have a DVD drive to install the software on my pc. I have read that there are some ways of copying the DVD from another PC to a usb drive then using that to boot the tower. Is there a way of successfully doing so? I have tried and the server programs seems to be half functioning. That is, the tower operates itself but is unable to connect to any other pc in my net work. I'm sure this can't be that tough but I'm frustrated.

Thanks!!!
    Bob

FYI, The tower has a Pent 4 and a new 125 gig hard drive. CD and that's about it. I show connected to my net work but I can't do anything with it. 

Any suggestions would be great
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:47 PM

Answers

• To be completely honest, you'd probably be better off borrowing a DVD drive from one of your desktops, rather than trying (and, failing, as you've already done once) to create a USB installer.
    Wouldn't take but 10 minutes of your time to pull the drive, temp-install it in the WHS, and return it when done.

Just my $0.02,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by bobbios71 Monday, January 26, 2009 2:58 AM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• To be completely honest, you'd probably be better off borrowing a DVD drive from one of your desktops, rather than trying (and, failing, as you've already done once) to create a USB installer.
    Wouldn't take but 10 minutes of your time to pull the drive, temp-install it in the WHS, and return it when done.

Just my $0.02,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by bobbios71 Monday, January 26, 2009 2:58 AM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:19 PM
  • After further research. I agree. Thank you! Just needed a push in the right direction. 
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:31 PM