program on PC thinks server has no free space. RRS feed

• Question

• I use a program to copy (save) my home videos (DV tapes) to my home server.  It was all working fine untill I added two new 1.5TB drives to the server.   Now when I try to save a tape to the home server it says there is no space on the selected drive (the WHS folder.   BTW the folder is duplicated).

Server has 9.3 TB total, 3.2 TB free.   New 2 drives show 12% used,  another 4 drives show 98% used and 1 shows 49% used.  (system drive shows 60% used).

((Still do not understand why WHS does not spread the files out evenly across all the drives?))

When I look at the WHS folder properties from a PC it shows capacity of 54GB with 3.2 TB available???

Any ideas?  What I can do to get the server to show free space to the program.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• The available space is the total space fee in your storage pool. The capacity is the actual size of the D: drive in your server. In your case, you have more free space in the storage pool than the size of your D: drive, and unfortunately some software can't deal with this. The workaround is to copy the files manually, or using some other software that doesn't care about the difference to perform the copy.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:26 PM