How do I add additional hard drives for back up? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 Drives on my Computer.

Two Internal (C & D)

And One External. (I)

How do I add the D and I drives to my back up plan?

Friday, August 22, 2008 5:53 AM

Answers

• You can't add any locations to the backup plan and external drives are not valid sources for backing up from. Both of your internal drives should already be part of the plan if they are IDE and SATA drives. If D: is a recovery partition from the OEM, it is likely excluded. In your backup plan, click on "change this" for "What" and let the wizard scan for files to backup. Then click the link to Exclude files and folders below the list of types of files. Expand the tree for My Computer in the Explorer like window that appears and place a check mark next to D: if the box is empty. If there are files matching your plan fro type to be backed up, these will now be added to your plan.

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:49 PM

All replies

• You can't add any locations to the backup plan and external drives are not valid sources for backing up from. Both of your internal drives should already be part of the plan if they are IDE and SATA drives. If D: is a recovery partition from the OEM, it is likely excluded. In your backup plan, click on "change this" for "What" and let the wizard scan for files to backup. Then click the link to Exclude files and folders below the list of types of files. Expand the tree for My Computer in the Explorer like window that appears and place a check mark next to D: if the box is empty. If there are files matching your plan fro type to be backed up, these will now be added to your plan.

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:49 PM
  • The majority of my files are on Drive I. I back up to my CDRom drive H. Why Can't this drive be backed up?

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Because that was the way backup was designed in OneCare, unfortunately. To backup your files on the I:\ drive to your CD ROM, you'll need to use your burner software or an alternative backup solution.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:43 PM