WHS 2011 and Microsoft Secutires Essential RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to build a new WHS 2011 on all new hardware next week and wanted to know if Microsoft Security Essentials will work on the WHS.  I currently am running WHS V1 and do not have any security software installed on the server as this was always the recommendation.  Did this change from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.  i have not seen anything in regards to the current version for security software.  I have noticed others are installing NOD32 on the WHS 2011 but I want to keep the same software on all my machines.

I am running MSE on all of my other PCs currently and would use on the WHS 2011 if recommended.

Thanks, Tim

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• No responses?
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Well, I don't know whether you tried it yet, but I tried to install it, along with Forefront Endpoint Security (Enterprise version of MSE), both client version and server version, and neither one will install, with error stating that the application is incompatible with this version of Windows.  I guess that those applications have not yet been modified to include WHS 2011 in their respective compatibility lists.  I ended up installing ClamWin, which installed just fine.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Does the tab show up in the dashboard?
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 10:41 PM
  • It would seem that no is the answer at the moment.  I couldn't get MSE or Forefront Endpoint Protection (Client or Server) to install either. 

Kind of weird considering Forefront Endpoint Security (Client) installs on a standalone 2008 R2 server.  I know WHS 2011 is built on 2008 R2, but not sure what is sufficiently different so as to prevent Forefront from installing. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:50 PM
  • It would seem that no is the answer at the moment.  I couldn't get MSE or Forefront Endpoint Protection (Client or Server) to install either. 

Kind of weird considering Forefront Endpoint Security (Client) installs on a standalone 2008 R2 server.  I know WHS 2011 is built on 2008 R2, but not sure what is sufficiently different so as to prevent Forefront from installing. 

Windows Security essentials installs fine on windows 2008 R2 but I can't get it onto WHS2011 either.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:05 PM
  • You most likely don't need WSE because Windows Defender is already installed automatically with WHS 2011. This is listed in the Windows Services when you go to manage server.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:07 AM
  • I'm pretty sure Windows Defender doesn't offer the same protection as MSE or Forefront. 

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Doesnt MSE only install on client versions of Windows??

Anyway, I use ClamWin as that is what I was using on the v1.. It works fine on WHS 2011 too and does basic virus protection...

Regards, Anand Mukundan http://www.dotnetindia.com
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

I installed Forefront Client Security without any issues the previous version of endpoint protection.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:16 AM
  • I'm running WHS V1 on an old box and don't want to install 2011 until I get some new hardware. However on the V1:

I've tried ClamWin and didn't like it, it didn't seem to user friendly. I have Symantec Endpoint available through work and have a client installed. While SEP has dogged every other computer I have installed it on and has slowed the machine a little, it seems to be working better there than on any other OS I've installed it on. I also have a technet subscription, so I have access to ForeFront. I'm planning to give it a try some time in the next month or so.

This seems to be a huge hole in Microsoft's stand on security. They do not seem to care about this product being open to any script-kiddy, much less accomplished hackers!

I've seen people saying WHS doesn't need AV or a security suite, but I've been studying Ethical Hacking lately so I definately don't agree! While I haven't progressed far enough to even be a script-kiddy I read plenty enough to tell me that: 1. Firewalls are not enough, they are barely an impediment. 2. Even with full suites on your connected computers something meant for the server could still slip through, even if you don't surf the web from the WHS. 3. If you allow other people on your network, not connecting them to your WHS will not be protection enough. 4. If you have Wireless as part of your network you add more vulnerability, so your WHS is not as isolated as you would like to believe. 5. WHS is built on Windows server(s) core components and will therefore have some of the same flaws already being exploited, PLUS it's own problems on top of them.

Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA, Web Administrator
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:37 PM
  • FEP 2010 won't work on on WHS 2011 but FCS (Forefront Client Security) will...

http://tinkertry.com/antivirus4whs2011/

Tested and working - updates via Windows Updates.

J.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Update Symantec isn't the solution unless you have great hardware and even then it is going to eat a LOT of resources. I've gone back to ClamWin, but found a beta that installed through the normal add-in process then installed ClamWin allowing some console control of the AV.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/02/15/whs-clamav-add-in-walk-through/

Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA, Web Administrator

• Edited by tpickard Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:05 AM
  • I just build this system and installed the WHS 2011 and I am using Symantec End Point Protection 11.0.5 with no resource issues, new to the server game and wasn't sure i needed to run any kind of virus protection or what software to install.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:08 AM