My thoughts RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just got the invite last night and I quickly downloaded and installed Home server so I wanted to put down here some of my thoughts so far. 

1.  Install still needs some work. when the systems reboots for the first time I quickly removed the DVD thinking like all other installs that is what you needed to do.  After the reboot everything seemed to be humming along till I got back to the gui install and it just bombed out on me saying unable to mount cd rom drive.  Knowing this was because I removed the cd I quickly inserted it and wanted to continue with the install.  Instead of finishing it closed the install and dropped me back to the desktop.  I was thinking to myself well it looks like it is working so I added my second partition and continued to see what was new with this OS.  I then rebooted the machine and when it came back up to the desktop it started the install again this time the DVD was in the drive so it continued on with the install until it got to the part where it wanted to add the second partition.  Seeing that I had already added the partition it bombed the install again with a error unable to read HAKD:ADSLKDS>DK drive. (not the real name of the drive but you get the idea.)  At this point I thought I had a bad drive or something.  I rebooted again only to get the same message I then removed the second partition and rebooted again this time it added the partition and continued with the install until it was finished. 

So more polish on the install is needed and the ability to if the DVD/CD is removed insert it again to finish the install. 

Hope my wall of text isn't to hard to read I haven't had anymore issues yet but I am sure I will find something to complain about 8*)

Bob N.

Friday, April 20, 2007 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi, first, I wish to convey no disrespect what-so-ever! It states in the WHS documentation that the installation will initially request the key and a few other short items then it will continue on without any user input, boot several time, and to leave the media in the drive until directed to remove it. At the very end we input some more small details, the Administrator password, etc, then boots to the desktop of the Administrator. At this point we turn it off, disconnect monitor, keyboard and mouse, and reboot the unit. We are then directed to install the Console in client computers. All Administrative tasks are to be completed via the Connect Console at a client computer.

Good luck and much success and fun with this Home Server!

Seree

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Seree1,

I had this same problem. Because of the length of the installation I wasn't watching the install closely and when I came into the room I noticed that the screen was showing the Windows Server 2003 desktop so I popped open the DVD drive and removed the DVD - a moment later the system rebooted and the installation stopped because the disk wasn't in the drive and it did not give me any option to replace the DVD and continue.

Unfortunately I had to start over and with the install being in excess of 2 hours that's a painful lesson to learn. I hope that when the final version is released, the system will request a missing installation disk before aborting the installation or have a method in the startup that allows you to continue an aborted installation at the point of failure.

>> larry <<

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Who the hell reads documentation. 8*)
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Hi LRKuderick, thank goodness my installation completed in under an hour! It does go to the administrator desktop and reboot several times during the process, so it would be easy to assume the process was complete when not watching closely, plus who really wishes to watch a long install? lol

The only reason I did was because this was only the second time I installed an OS and so I was overly excited. Ha-ha! Again, as I am so inexperianced, I had no previous installations to compare this to, and so thought it was "normal". Which turned out to be a good thing for me anyway, or I might have been in the same situation as you, seeing the desktop and thinking it was finished.

From what you are stating here other types of OS installations give the option of popping the media back in and resumming the install, or am I miss reading what you wrote? I agree, it does seem to make more sense to allow putting the media back in and resuming from the point it left off. As for who reads documentation, I would hope all who wish to understand the proceedure, but we are not all avid readers, and many have a great deal more experiance than I do. It behooves me to read anything I can! 

Seree

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:48 PM