Live Mesh Problems - 12/2/09 ongoing 12/3/09 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there some sort of Live Mesh update occurring on the online service tonight? I cannot log into the web interface, as I get stuck in a "Terms of Use" page loop that I've never even seen before and while the Windows client will authenticate it is still grey and says that the status of the other computers is "Unknown."
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

• Could you provide the URL for the announcement please?  I am stuck at the "Review and accept agreements" screen.

It's the top postings here in the forums:

December 2, Server Update -- Open Issues and Updates.

-ken
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:00 AM

All replies

• I am having troubles as well.  Grey icon on my live mesh widget on the toolbar, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" for mesh.com.   Very strange.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Same here.
    Can't see other computers, can't get into mesh.com on the web.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:57 AM
  • Likewise!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:05 AM
  • me as well!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Hey Folks, we had a small server update cause a little issue, we're working on it to try and resolve now.  I'll put an annoucement thread up for everyone and update with ETA's as I get them for you.

-Ken
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Eagerly awaiting a reply.  I'm seeing the Grey Icon of Doom even after rebooting.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Me too. 
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:17 AM
  • We're still working on it, we've isolated the probable cause and hoping to have it fixed here shortly. 

In the meantime, you shouldn't see any impact to synchronization or Live Remote.  If you are please let me know immediately.

-ken

Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:40 AM
  • This is where a Twitter system status update would be really useful. The Mesh been down for nearly four hours for me and I FINALLY found this forum with information someone at Microsoft is aware of the problem. The @LiveMesh account hasn't been used since April 6th... Communication in a time of crisis is a must!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:41 AM
  • If I had access to the @LiveMesh twitter I would be more than happy to do so :)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:02 AM
  • All the servers for www.mesh.com and related pages are back online now.  If you run into any problems please let us know!

Thanks again for your patience while we completed this update and the fixes related to it.

-Ken

Moderator note:
    As of 9:00 EST on 12/3/09, it appears that Sync isn't working and there have been reports of not all folders appearing on the Live Desktop for some people. One report of RDP failing may also be related.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:12 AM
  • I dont see my machines on line and get this error when I click on devices

Error

The Live Mesh service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

(Code: 13610279-92a3, 12/3/2009 7:18 AM UTC, BL1WLC2040416 )
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:19 AM
  • I'm seeing "This service isn't available right now" via the mesh website, and my icons in the taskbar are still grey.

Get a new Twitter account! :) You seem to be on-the-ball! Thanks for working on this.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Works now!  Yay!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Mesh.com is working, but still grey icons in the taskbar for me with yellow alert symbols and no ability to connect to the machines... maybe they all need a reboot or something, but this is good. Thanks, guys!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:35 AM
  • We've found a couple other minor issues that are now fixed.  If you are seeing any slow performance, or issues please let me know.

If you see the TOU loop, click sign out, when you get to the Sign in page don't sign in stop here. Close all open browsers.  Once they're all closed open a new browser and you should be able to login normally. 

-Ken
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:37 AM
  • I'm still seeing the grey icon with all of my machines offline even after a reboot.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:05 AM
  • The device page on the website shows my devices online the app does not.  I am able to connect to my boxes through the activex control.  I don't know when they updated but it now has a full screen mode :) 
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:15 AM
  • It should have been like that for a while now with the ActiveX control :)  The fact that the app is showing offline for both of you though is a concern for me.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I've added one device successfully, but after 10 or more tries on my Macbook (running 10.6.2 also,like the previous device) I'm unable to get that to add to the mesh (though it syncs perfectly well.

I tried deleting the app but each time I try to add I merely get another .dmg of the app again and the process starts over. I never get the option to add the Macbook, name it, etc.

Any ideas appreciated.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:40 AM
  • We're stil seeing some minor blips with some things not quite as clean as they should be at the moment that could be causing it.  If you can hold off until our morning to try again it hopefully will all be resolved out.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:46 AM
  • All machines are still shown as Offline. I can connect to mesh.com without problems but all clients are "unknown".

I have rebooted and closed all browsers.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Any new files made or changes to existing files are not being synced or appearing in the news panel for one of my machine... Tried rebooting machine & restarting live mesh already.

I get an error of "This service isn't avaliable right now. Please try again later" on that machine when viewing www.mesh.com. Other machines on the same network works fine though...
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Hi. I have used Live Mesh successfully for a week and have made changes to some documents on my pc which Mesh synchronizes but they are not synchronized on the web. ADDITIONALLY if I open NEWS todays synchronization changes are not shown and only till yesterday it is shown to be synchronized. Isn't there a button which I can press to synchronize right away to synch todays file changes too?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:16 PM
  • hello,
    this morning mehs was unable to connect, now it ist connected, but the folders doesn´t sync anymore - yesterday it worked fine, I havent changed anything. Can anybody help?
    Rudi
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Since last night my mesh doesn´t sync anymore - at 8.00 pm I couldn´t connect (Unable to connect, please check your network connection), now it is connected, but doesn´t sync. Any ideas?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:47 PM
  • I just logged on to my Live Desktop.  I am synching 20 folders.  Right now (5:54am PST) only seven of those folders are appearing on the Live Desktop.  Starting to get worried . . .
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:55 PM
  • None of my folders are syncing as of now as well.  It looks like the desktop client is attempting to work, but nothing is happening.  Also, I can not see any of my devices on the web interface including the web desktop.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Clearly things are still not back to normal.
    m.mesh.com is reporting service unavailable when you sign in and although I can see my connected devices and folders on the Live Desktop, nothing is synchronizing.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Agreed - I have sporadic access to Live Desktop and when I am able to get into it, I don't see alot of my content :-( 
    Synchronization isn't working
    Dino Caputo, MCTS: OCS http://www.ucguys.com
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:32 PM
  • I also keep getting the "Terms of Use" page when trying to use remote desktop. Clicking "I Agree" does not seem to work.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:38 PM
  • seems to be back up now. I can connect normally.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:56 PM
  • It is still down... still unable to view devices... service is unavailable messages.....
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:01 PM
  • The devices are connected and I can access the Mesh Desktop. But clients won't syncronize. :(
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Same with my system :-(
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Things was chugging along until today. Can't delete folders, can't sync folders and mainly can't even select folders resident on machine to synch
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:07 PM
  • This is a disaster. I am running a small company with 3 people in three different cities. If a file doesn’t sync then we will be in BIG trouble. I know that Mesh is beta but it´s works better then the Sugersynk etc.

what also troubles me is that, there is no news in the news Windows. Does that means that Mesh not only stop syncing but also lost track of changes I made?

Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Here too - can't create new folders, haven't tested synching yet, can't access web interface at all.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:24 PM
  • My files haven't synced since last night around 10 pm.  I'd been working on a OneNote file, everything's been working great for a few months now, until I realized last night it wasn't updating any longer.  No better luck today.  No news showing up, and can't login to my Live Desktop.  Tried restarting computers, signing out, going offline and back online, without luck.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Mine is suddenly not working either.  No syncing is occurring and I can't use the web interface.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:31 PM
  • No files are synching.
    Cannot log to the web desktop.
    Robert Tankersley
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:40 PM
  • My mesh isn't working either - but I guess that comes with using beta versions and tech previews. It'd be nice if there was a website, a blog, a twitter account .... where users can get information on errors. I had expected to find information on Windows Livewire - but there are none.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:45 PM
  • The first time mesh lets me down.... hopefully it will get sorted soon..
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:54 PM
  • This is a disaster. I am running a small company with 3 people in three different cities. If a file doesn’t sync then we will be in BIG trouble. I know that Mesh is beta but it´s works better then the Sugersynk etc.

what also troubles me is that, there is no news in the news Windows. Does that means that Mesh not only stop syncing but also lost track of changes I made?

No, the news is a function of communication with the Mesh. If you make changes on a disconnected machine, the news won't update until a connection is established and information exchanged with the service.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:01 PM
  • I haven't heard back from Ken yet today, but if he was up late that doesn't surprise me as it is just 9 am in Redmond right now. I've sent him a message pointing to this thread and noting that I'm seeing the same issues that all of you are reporting.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Still not working. I have three machines. One of them is perpetually offline with no remote desktop despite reinstallation, rebooting etc, and nothing is synching at all. Can't log into site at all..unavailable.
    Dr. Nikitah Imani Associate Professor James Madison University
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:15 PM
  • This morning its not working again.  Machine still show offline in the client.  Click on devices in browser I see this error now

Error
    This service isn't available right now. Please try again later
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Do we have an ETA on a fix?  I need to decide whether I'm going to wait for a fix or try some painful work around
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Same thing here.  I get a 503 error with syncing folders on the laptops.  I get a service unavailable error when trying to access the web desktop through mesh.com.

Hope they resolve this relatively soon.  This has become my technical lifeline.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:49 PM
  • I work for a company that uses multiple Mesh accounts to sync info between 5 different locations... I have noticed these same problems with the News updating over various accounts at different times for over a week now. The files still update and are uploaded (tbhe time stamps change) but the news does not update for days at a time. Is this related to the server problem or is that is something totally different?

Damien
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Do we have an ETA on a fix?  I need to decide whether I'm going to wait for a fix or try some painful work around

No ETA at this time. :-(
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:58 PM
  • I work for a company that uses multiple Mesh accounts to sync info between 5 different locations... I have noticed these same problems with the News updating over various accounts at different times for over a week now. The files still update and are uploaded (tbhe time stamps change) but the news does not update for days at a time. Is this related to the server problem or is that is something totally different?

Damien

If the problem began yesterday - it is related. If it has been going on for a week, I don't think so. Let the current problem be resolved and if you still see strangeness, DDementia, please start a new thread with the details.
    Thanks,
    -steve
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:59 PM
  • +1 on the 503 errors being reported by MOE. I guess I picked the wrong time to put the RTM Windows 7 bits on one of my machines and expect Mesh to magically get all my files.

But hey, it's a beta. And it's SO good when it works :-)

Twitter updates from @LiveMesh would be a big help. :-)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:07 PM
  •  I'm still not able to get access to folders or sync with the site. It now lets me log in, which it didn't last night, but is giving the screen message below.  As with the others, this is a disaster. Multiple players in multiple cities working on a project. 
    Live Desktop could not connect.
    Please try refreshing the page.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:09 PM
  • While the icon bottom left has turned blue from the grey it was (at least on the machine I have physical access to right now and have restarted), and connect to device has appeared on the ones that I haven't (although they are still greyed out), Live Desktop is down and my newsfeed isn't syncing any of the changes that are being made. Also, the bug where the screen turns black with only the mouse pointer showing after disconnecting from mesh remote desktop is keeping me checking whether the other machines are grey or light blue.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Hey Folks, we had a small server update cause a little issue, we're working on it to try and resolve now.  I'll put an annoucement thread up for everyone and update with ETA's as I get them for you.

-Ken

This isn't just a"small server update problem" - it's a MAJOR disaster! I've got a presentation I've got to work on NOW that I'm givng later today and I can't access it. When is Mesh coming back online???
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Remote desktop seems to be working. I was able to log on to my remote machine and e-mail myself several documents that I needed. Cludgy but I got what I needed.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:50 PM

-Ken

This isn't just a"small server update problem" - it's a MAJOR disaster! I've got a presentation I've got to work on NOW that I'm givng later today and I can't access it. When is Mesh coming back online???

Unfortunately, what was supposed to be a simply update apparently caused the major problems. And, even more unfortunately, I'm in the dark on a status, not having heard from Ken on the Live Mesh team yet.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Unfortunately, what was supposed to be a simply update apparently caused the major problems. And, even more unfortunately, I'm in the dark on a status, not having heard from Ken on the Live Mesh team yet.
    -steve

Thanks, Steve - what a mess. It looks like I'm going to have to leave work early just to get my materials (which, of course, I'm not able to work on now). What a disaster! Keeping my fingers crossed that something happens soon (and that you also get word as to what is happening).
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I presume this all stems from the recent change?

I'd last got a sync update in news for my folders at 03:54 GMT on 1st December although I probably didn't attempt to synchronise anything again until today.

Now I'm getting the looping terms of service window from W7 and service unavailable from Vista workstations and no folder sync. Fortunately I have other routes to get my files..

As ever, just as one begins to rely on a service....

Good luck with resolution, will keep checking in. (Hope no one had automatic updates ticked on the servers ;-) )
    • Edited by AI32768 Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:34 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:10 PM
  • It sounds like you are also having problems related to the back end issues, AI32768.
    And, AnotherPerson, I'm sorry that you're facing such a headache due to the issue with Live Mesh. I'll be away from the forum (and the PC) in about an hour, so hopefully we'll get an update her directly from Ken or someone else from Microsoft.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Is their any idea if this will be up and running by this afternoon or evening, I have an important document I need to retrieve and it seems I'm not the only one that is in the same boat and may be in a for a long day of re-creating some documents.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:45 PM
  • I also keep getting Terms of Use page on all browsers I try; like BrianLM, clicking "I Agree" does nothing except reload the page.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Our last sync was yesterday afternoon (Israel time).
     I understand that something happened at that time .. Is it still the same?   We need to know when will it work again..    Thank you !
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:07 PM
  • I am also getting following error while accessing Live Desktop:

Error

The Live Mesh service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Just to update I’m in the same boat .  Folder sync is down but Remote device access works, my issues seemed to have started  back on NOV 25th    updates are  slow and inconsistent .   

Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:18 PM
  • its alive!!!!! mine its synching just now
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Great!! Working here as well

Thanks guys.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Great!! Working here as well

Thanks guys.

Don't rub it in - it's still down here :(
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:06 PM
  • It should be all working and functional now.  If you are still seeing problems, please restart the Mesh client and check.  If you continue to see the problem, please let us know!

-Ken

Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Try it now AnotherPerson.  Everything should be up and fully functional for you.  If you can't reach the site please let me know!

-Ken
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I'm able to log-in the the live/mesh desktop, but I'm asked to accept the terms/conditions/agreements. I click agree (repeatedly), but nothing happens. I've tried logging-out, re-logging in, restarting mesh, etc..
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:23 PM
  • I am seeing the same thing as Glen.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:26 PM
  • I just lost all my live mesh folders on my laptop.  All my data is gone.  Anyone know how I can find it?  Also, the live mesh icon is gone.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Still getting the 503 error code when trying to resync my folders.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Working great here now.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Can now log in but now getting "accept" message in an endless cycle.
    Robert Tankersley
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Only about half of my folders are showing up. whats the deal?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:01 PM
  • I have mismatches between computers and Live Desktop in terms of news updates.  Test files I create seem to be synching but again there is no news updates informing me of this.  Often on Live Desktop I open folders and nothing appears.  Wait a few minutes and refresh and then I do get files.

Dino Caputo, BA | MCSE | MCTS:OCS http://www.ucguys.com
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Now able to log in to the web ok.

Have not noted this before but Win Mobile device still will not validate user.

Robert Tankersley
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:08 PM
  • See the main announcement for more info on what's going on :)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Could you provide the URL for the announcement please?  I am stuck at the "Review and accept agreements" screen.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:59 PM

It's the top postings here in the forums:

December 2, Server Update -- Open Issues and Updates.

-ken
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:00 AM
  • After making a backup copy of an important Mesh folder on discovering this issue I then reverted to using the folder when it resumed functioning this evening. I continued working on an Excel spreadsheet required for a client to read on a flight to the US in the morning and saved the file at around 23:00 GMT to the Mesh folder. Barring the last update on the news page stating 7 files changed at 21:25 GMT there have been no other updates. On re-opening the file now I find it is in the version saved at 18:56 GMT.

Is there any likelihood that the saved version of this file exists at all anywhere or am I looking at retyping the whole document? My only consolation being a printed hard copy I made before saving and closing the file.

Fortunately the related report that has taken 30 days to create was only worked on in the backup non-Mesh folder.

I know, it only says Beta on the tin...
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:10 AM
  • If you didn't close excel saving it won't cause a sync to occur.  Excel will keep the document open until it's closed entirely.  Either way, it should have sync'd when you closed it that evening.  have you checked the other folders that you have it sync'ing to?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:13 AM
  • I'm trying to connect to livemesh for the first time and am unable to get anywhere.  Every time I click on devices in order to make the initial download I am getting an ERROR message 'this service isn't available right now.  Try again later.'  I've been getting it all day.  What do I need to do to get all this up and running?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I'm trying to connect to livemesh for the first time and am unable to get anywhere.  Every time I click on devices in order to make the initial download I am getting an ERROR message 'this service isn't available right now.  Try again later.'  I've been getting it all day.  What do I need to do to get all this up and running?

Easy, can you try closing all browsers and retrying?  You may have an old cookie that could be causing it.

-Ken
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:29 AM
  • I've tried that, didn't work.  Also I've been trying on 2 seperate computers and been getting the same response from both.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:31 AM
  • I've tried that, didn't work.  Also I've been trying on 2 seperate computers and been getting the same response from both.

kk, looking into it.  Thanks for the update!
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, if only I'd not closed Excel and been ultra paranoid in making backup copies

I think I've copied back the Mesh folder onto the backup folder overwriting the edited version. No hope there as the backup folder is on a NAS...

Sorry to bother you!
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:09 AM
  • The program was working for me earlier today.  But now all my boxes are showing offline.  I am able to connect to them though on the website through the activex control
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:29 AM
  • The program was working for me earlier today.  But now all my boxes are showing offline.  I am able to connect to them though on the website through the activex control

Just to clarify, the client is showing offline?  You can't see your folder list there, but if you go to www.mesh.com login you can reach them fine?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hi! I have 3 accounts of Windows Live ID, one for me, one for my girlfriend and one for my mother. Just only account work well. The other two acounts show this message when sing in "Error This service isn't available right now. Please try again later" this problem persist since yesterday in the morning.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Live Mesh is Beta software - I see a lot of messages saying people need this for business critical applications.  I suggest you don't rely on consumer based beta software for this.  You may want to investigate other methods for business critical applications.
    --
    Friday, December 4, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I'm locking this thread. Please see this post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/5314805e-2a12-46ab-a224-508337a916b7

-steve
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:04 PM