dial-in conferencing using voip provider? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    anyone that know of a Voip provider that also can provide conference phone numbers?

Thanks.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi UC,

So this is really a function of your trunking ability and your available PSTN capacity. You still may want to check with your SP to ensure they dont have any restrictions around multiple inbound simultaneous calls on the same DID but it should be more a question of your trunking capacity to the PSTN. OCS will handle multiple calls to the same DID not a problem. Multiple conferences on the same DID shouldnt be a problem either. OCS identifes the conference based on the conference ID not the DID. The DID just gives the call somewhere to land.

The important thing to remember here is your trunking capacity to your provider. If you have an on premise conferencing solution your PSTN capacity maybe exceeded if most people that join your conference are external to your company or are joining via a cell phone. So knowing your companys conferening habits will be important for a solution like this. If for instance you have a company that is basically a bunch of nomadic sales people that are never at their desk and your current PSTN capacity is low because of this you will need to get more PSTN lines from your SP to support a production deployment. Knowing your trunking capacity and making adjustments to it should be something left to a experienced telephony person if you have one. If not I am sure your SP will lend you a hand to get it right.

Cheers
    Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by uc2be Friday, March 6, 2009 8:05 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi UC,

Can you clarify, are you after a conferencing service run by a service provider or toll free numbers to be used with a on premise conferencing service you are running for something like R2?

Cheers
    Chris
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Sure,

what I mean is to configure the dial-in conferencing in R2, to allow users to dial in, into live meetings. I guess that we need some kind of special number for that. Not sure what's it called though.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi UC,

If you have an available PSTN DID number you can certianly use that. So an unassigned number that works out on the PSTN for example. This can be a normal subscriber number like 425-555-5555 or if you wish to have a toll free service like a 1800 number that can be done to. you just have to get a 1800 number allocated to you from a service provider or a 1800 service. There are plenty out there but you will still need a PSTN DID number to associate with the 1800 number.

Cheers
    Chris
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:38 PM
  • HI Chris and thank's for taking time to answer this.
    This telephone world is very new to me so I hope you can bare with me :) I have some DID numbers left so I can use one them I guess, but I thought that one an user calls the DID number and enters the conference using the conf id and passcode generated by OCS that line is busy, that no one else can call that number until the first one hangs up or is this something that is handled by OCS?

Regards,
    UC

Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hi UC,

So this is really a function of your trunking ability and your available PSTN capacity. You still may want to check with your SP to ensure they dont have any restrictions around multiple inbound simultaneous calls on the same DID but it should be more a question of your trunking capacity to the PSTN. OCS will handle multiple calls to the same DID not a problem. Multiple conferences on the same DID shouldnt be a problem either. OCS identifes the conference based on the conference ID not the DID. The DID just gives the call somewhere to land.

The important thing to remember here is your trunking capacity to your provider. If you have an on premise conferencing solution your PSTN capacity maybe exceeded if most people that join your conference are external to your company or are joining via a cell phone. So knowing your companys conferening habits will be important for a solution like this. If for instance you have a company that is basically a bunch of nomadic sales people that are never at their desk and your current PSTN capacity is low because of this you will need to get more PSTN lines from your SP to support a production deployment. Knowing your trunking capacity and making adjustments to it should be something left to a experienced telephony person if you have one. If not I am sure your SP will lend you a hand to get it right.

Cheers
    Chris

• Marked as answer by uc2be Friday, March 6, 2009 8:05 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:32 PM
  •  Hi Chris!

I think you finally did it!! I think I understand this now, it took a while but now I have a better understanding of this and maybe I will be able to explain this in away so that our provider gets what we want to accomplish. :)

//UC
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:05 PM