none
More code block issues RRS feed

• Question

• For the love of ...., PLEASE wrap code blocks in a <PRE> HTML tag.

Why in the world does a code block NOT retain formatting (I'm not talking about leading whitespaces, either, as I've already submitted a bug on that)? Multiple spaces are not retained between words, for instance.

There are 20 spaces between x and y: x y

Note the lack of spaces in the above code block.

Do NOT RELEASE ANOTHER VERSION OF THESE FORUMS UNTIL YOU TEST AND FIX THE CODE BLOCK. For that matter, don't migrate another technical forum to this version until that is done.

I'm sick and tired of the forums team releasing "production ready" applications that have not been tested (seemingly AT ALL).

Phil Brammer | http://www.ssistalk.com
    • Edited by Phil Brammer Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:21 AM Added diatribe
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:18 AM

Answers

• Thanks Phil. I have taken your issue reported and have logged a bug on it. While I can understand some of the frusturations you currently have with the overall forums that you have already commented on, we do appreciate the feedback and are taking all of the necessary measures to make sure that this information is logged with the Product Team.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I'm the dev lead on the new forums application. I can hear your frustration and I want to reassure you we are listening and in fact have this particular issue fixed and ready to be tested by our test team.

We are a completely new forums development team, and are very dedicated to making this an awesome application. We all know we can't release bug free and knew of several issues when we went live that's didn't meet the bar of getting a fix in at the last minute. The chance to get regression can be high with even simple fixes so we postponed some of these issues.

We're focussing on the top set of bugs we know about and performance for our next release. We're half way done with our coding and hope to have it released after a couple weeks of testing.

thanks,
    Sam

Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Monday, February 25, 2008 8:49 PM
  • This is now fixed in our new release today.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:04 AM

All replies

• Trying code block with IE7:

There are 20 spaces between x and y: x y

Nope.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:23 AM
  • That was maybe a touch harsh. Sorry.

However, I'm just baffled as to why decisions are made to "go live" in migrating forums/newsgroups here when this version is barely functional.

• Edited by Phil Brammer Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:13 AM Removing edit
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:06 AM
  • Thanks Phil. I have taken your issue reported and have logged a bug on it. While I can understand some of the frusturations you currently have with the overall forums that you have already commented on, we do appreciate the feedback and are taking all of the necessary measures to make sure that this information is logged with the Product Team.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi Phil,

It's for the very reason you cite that we have not migrated any of the existing forums yet. As Rob (from dev) mentions in the thread at http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/thread/22606282-76cd-4365-ba3d-5b7f7ab67344 , the team is listening and working on making these forums great. We are working hard to fix the big things, but are also looking at the fit and finish things, to get ready for migration.

We know you are busy with your work in the old Forums, and appreciate the time you have taken to walk through these forums. We'll do our best to make that time count.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I'm the dev lead on the new forums application. I can hear your frustration and I want to reassure you we are listening and in fact have this particular issue fixed and ready to be tested by our test team.

We are a completely new forums development team, and are very dedicated to making this an awesome application. We all know we can't release bug free and knew of several issues when we went live that's didn't meet the bar of getting a fix in at the last minute. The chance to get regression can be high with even simple fixes so we postponed some of these issues.

We're focussing on the top set of bugs we know about and performance for our next release. We're half way done with our coding and hope to have it released after a couple weeks of testing.

thanks,
    Sam

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:49 PM
  • This is now fixed in our new release today.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:04 AM