How do I uninstall WMP11? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WMP11 on the server for about a year now with no issues. Yesterday it stopped working and I'm not really sure why. It seems like the program is corrupted somehow, I can't add folders to the library (they don't "stick") and media sharing won't start (even though the service is started).

I figure the best thing to do is uninstall it, but when I go to add/remove programs I can roll back WMP11 but I can't rollback the WMP11 runtime, because WMP11 has a dependency on it.

Reboot, same problem.

Also, I can rollback WMP11 multiple times and each time it says that the rollback was complete. Nothing actually seems to be happening though. Ideas?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• Update: I didn't need to reinstall WHS. I followed the directions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718

and deleted my library (which had become corrupt) and re-indexed the media files. Media sharing works properly now :)

Now I have a new problem though, probably related.

After I did this I searched for a file by opening the server's "main" shares window, i.e. where all the shares are listed and using the search function in Vista. I searched for "avatar" and the media files and folders that came up had no name, file size, location, etc. Non-media files had no problem, they were listed correctly. Tried a few other searches, same thing. Media files and folders would show up and I could click them to open them, but no file information appeared.

I RDP'd into the server, went to the desktop search function and had it re-index the shares. I didn't change any setting in there, I just re-indexed.

Checked this morning, and it looks better, now the file names and info appears. However, the file path is wrong for everything that's not music. Before it was just media files and folders that weren't displaying correctly; now file info displays correctly except that the path is wrong. Everything is being listed as \\server\music\XYZ

For example, if I had a .doc, .mp3 and .avi called "resume" this is how they now appear:

resume.doc  //server/music/jason/work stuff (MUSIC has replaced USERS)
    resume.mp3 //server/music/artist/album (no problem)
    resume.avi //server/music/movies/comedy (MUSIC replaced VIDEO)

If I double click on resume.doc, open office starts opening, then gives an error message that the file cannot be found. I can navigate to the file and open it, that works fine. Also, if I navigate to the "USERS" folder and search for "resume" it works fine. I'm at work right now, and searching through the remote access website works. It seems to be only from the main shares window that it's not working.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:07 PM

All replies

• You don't say what kind of server you have; I assume it's a home-built system.

Likely the only way to remove Windows Media Player 11 (which, if I recall correctly, is a one-way upgrade from previous versions) is going to be a server reinstallation. There are instructions for doing so scattered here and there in the forums, including something in the FAQ section (look for the post about upgrading from evaluation software). If you have problems with reinstallation, get back to us. In particular, if you reach the screen near the beginning where you're asked what type of installation you want to do and you only have new installation as an option (i.e. you don't have both reinstallation (or recovery) and new installation), don't proceed. Get back to us.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by pure456 Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Yes, it is homebuilt.

My first post wasn't very informative, I was in a rush to leave work so I'll post more information here. Hopefully this will avoid the need for a reinstallation.

WMP stopped streaming to my PS3. I RDP'd into the server, started WMP and went to LIBRARY--> MEDIA SHARING. From there I got a message ssaying that "Media sharing has been turned off because a required windows setting or component has changed."

I checked the services and confirmed that the serice was running, tried stopping it, rebooting, then restarting the service to no avail. Poked around, and noticed that the the WMP library was empty. I added back the MUSIC share, but indexing never started. Went to "Add to Library" again, and the monitored folders were empty (even though I had just added the MUSIC share).

At this point I figured uninstalling then reinstalling WMP would do the trick. Obviously it wasn't as easy as I thought. From the problems I've been having do you still think server reinstallation is the best option Ken?

I really don't want to do a server reinstallation. Is there a way I could "fix" WMP11? If it's just a matter of a corrupt file somewhere could I copy over a good file from another computer? What would happenn if I left it as is and installed TVersity instead?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Yes, I think that server reinstallation is your best bet. I have no idea if you can "fix" WMP 11; I doubt rather strongly that you can, so I wouldn't even make the attempt. And as I said, I don't believe it's possible to "uninstall" it, whether it's visible in Add/Remove Programs on your server or not. Server reinstallation is pretty safe; I've done it a number of times. I suspect the largest amount of pain you'll experience is re-installing whatever software you've installed in Remote Desktop. :)

If you aren't already, you need to be aware that Windows Media Player 11 is nsupported on Windows Server 2003-based operating systems such as Windows Home Server. The most recent supported version is, I believe, Windows Media Player 10.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Update: I didn't need to reinstall WHS. I followed the directions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718

and deleted my library (which had become corrupt) and re-indexed the media files. Media sharing works properly now :)

Now I have a new problem though, probably related.

After I did this I searched for a file by opening the server's "main" shares window, i.e. where all the shares are listed and using the search function in Vista. I searched for "avatar" and the media files and folders that came up had no name, file size, location, etc. Non-media files had no problem, they were listed correctly. Tried a few other searches, same thing. Media files and folders would show up and I could click them to open them, but no file information appeared.

I RDP'd into the server, went to the desktop search function and had it re-index the shares. I didn't change any setting in there, I just re-indexed.

Checked this morning, and it looks better, now the file names and info appears. However, the file path is wrong for everything that's not music. Before it was just media files and folders that weren't displaying correctly; now file info displays correctly except that the path is wrong. Everything is being listed as \\server\music\XYZ

For example, if I had a .doc, .mp3 and .avi called "resume" this is how they now appear:

resume.doc  //server/music/jason/work stuff (MUSIC has replaced USERS)
    resume.mp3 //server/music/artist/album (no problem)
    resume.avi //server/music/movies/comedy (MUSIC replaced VIDEO)

If I double click on resume.doc, open office starts opening, then gives an error message that the file cannot be found. I can navigate to the file and open it, that works fine. Also, if I navigate to the "USERS" folder and search for "resume" it works fine. I'm at work right now, and searching through the remote access website works. It seems to be only from the main shares window that it's not working.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:07 PM