Error: 0x800C0002 RRS feed

• Question

• When i go to Windows update, i get this error 0x800C002.

It won't let me update.

It is on a Windows 2000 SP4.

help!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• OK, here's something useful -

One of the annoying symptoms of this problem included the complete absence of a "Download" button, when trying to access update packages from the Microsoft Downloads site. This suggested the problem was associated with the loaded version of IE6.

Installation notes buried in the IE6 upgrade folder, after installation (look for readme.txt in your /Programs/Internet Explorer folder) suggest that if IE6 is already installed on an NT4 system, it should be un-installed before attempting to upgrade the system to Windows 20000, and then re-installed when the upgrade is completed.

This absolutely matches the upgrade scenario I was working from, after which I encountered the same problem described above - IE6 was already loaded on the NT4 system, when I upgraded to Windows 2000 Pro.  Unfortunately, IE6 did not appear under Add/Remove Programs, where I was hoping to find a "Repair" option. In the course of trying various approaches, I briefly re-activated Automatic updates, which I had disabled because locally saved update bundles were going to be used to reduce unnecessary internet traffic.

Despite IE6 being loaded and running, Automatic Updates identified and proposed numerous updates for IE5.5, which was the previous version before IE6 was loaded. On a hunch, I allowed these to proceed, and I was somewhat surprised to discover IE6 had been silently rolled back to IE5.5. Fortunately, this actually took me in the direction I wanted to go. Subsequent updates were accepted and loaded, until an update for Outlook Express went into a cyclic re-offer loop, apparently installing ok each time, but re-detected as a necessary update on the next pass by Automatic Updates.

At this point, I copied the skeleton IE6 installer (about 450Kb) from a similar machine running the same O/S, and IE6 was successfully re-installed.

Hey, Presto!! Windows Updates (manual access) now works !!

It appears that if IE6 was already loaded before a generational Windows OS upgrade, the problem may be resolved by uninstalling IE6, rolling back to whatever version preceded it. This may be easier said than done, but my experience allowing Automatic Updates for the previously installed IE version may be useful. It is uncertain whether allowing subsequent Automatic Updates helped resolve the problem. Then reinstall IE6 online, either directly, or using the skeleton installer mentioned above.

Good Luck, please post if this solution works for you.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:58 AM

All replies

• This is what the error says:

0x800C0002

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:

Refresh the page.
    In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
    Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Try update your IE to 6.0 SP1 (you can find it on MS site). after reboot update must work normal

p/s sorry for my english and necroposting)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:54 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:19 PM
  • When i go to Windows update, i get this error 0x800C002.

It won't let me update.

It is on a Windows 2000 SP4.

help!

I've got the same problem. NT4 system upgraded to Win 2000 Pro, Windows update failed from the first attempt, with the same error code.

Upgraded to SP4, including the bundled SP4 updates from the MS Downloads centre, via a similar machine on my home network, because the MS Downloads centre "download" button is invisible on the affected machine ( !!! )

Upgraded IE 5.5 to 6.0 SP1 the same way.

No change - still fails with the same error code.

Tried stopping Automatic Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Services (Start > Run > Services.msc) before renaming iuctl.dll, wuweb.dll & iuengine.dll, as suggested in Article 914226. Wuweb.dll couldn't be renamed, due to a sharing violation (source file still in use, with the service successfully stopped ???), but the rest seemed to work as intended.

The result ? Tried windows update after a restart, and it seemed to progress just a little further (re-loading the disabled services) before failing, with the same error code 0x800C0002.

I usually manage to successfully wade through conundrums similar to this as I encounter them, regularly upgrading older machines considered obsolete by their original owners, & returning them to useful service. Based on that, I must have some idea what I'm doing, but this one's got me stumped. I'm joining the queue.

Help me, Mr Wizard, I don't wanna be a system software technician anymore. Give me back my soldering iron and some good old fashioned hardware! 

Sunday, April 3, 2011 6:20 PM
  • This is what the error says:

0x800C0002

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:

Refresh the page.
    In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
    Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

Needless to say, this was on the failed updates page, and it was the first thing tried. Neither of us would be posting here if it actually worked, but the additional information may be useful for some. 
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Try update your IE to 6.0 SP1 (you can find it on MS site). after reboot update must work normal

p/s sorry for my english and necroposting)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was already running IE6 SP1 when the problem was first encountered. Notably enough, within a few IP jumps after the arror was encountered (trying to find additional information about the error, using the affected machine), IE6 regularly crashes and needs to re-start.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 6:33 PM
  • OK, here's something useful -

One of the annoying symptoms of this problem included the complete absence of a "Download" button, when trying to access update packages from the Microsoft Downloads site. This suggested the problem was associated with the loaded version of IE6.

Installation notes buried in the IE6 upgrade folder, after installation (look for readme.txt in your /Programs/Internet Explorer folder) suggest that if IE6 is already installed on an NT4 system, it should be un-installed before attempting to upgrade the system to Windows 20000, and then re-installed when the upgrade is completed.

This absolutely matches the upgrade scenario I was working from, after which I encountered the same problem described above - IE6 was already loaded on the NT4 system, when I upgraded to Windows 2000 Pro.  Unfortunately, IE6 did not appear under Add/Remove Programs, where I was hoping to find a "Repair" option. In the course of trying various approaches, I briefly re-activated Automatic updates, which I had disabled because locally saved update bundles were going to be used to reduce unnecessary internet traffic.

Despite IE6 being loaded and running, Automatic Updates identified and proposed numerous updates for IE5.5, which was the previous version before IE6 was loaded. On a hunch, I allowed these to proceed, and I was somewhat surprised to discover IE6 had been silently rolled back to IE5.5. Fortunately, this actually took me in the direction I wanted to go. Subsequent updates were accepted and loaded, until an update for Outlook Express went into a cyclic re-offer loop, apparently installing ok each time, but re-detected as a necessary update on the next pass by Automatic Updates.

At this point, I copied the skeleton IE6 installer (about 450Kb) from a similar machine running the same O/S, and IE6 was successfully re-installed.

Hey, Presto!! Windows Updates (manual access) now works !!

It appears that if IE6 was already loaded before a generational Windows OS upgrade, the problem may be resolved by uninstalling IE6, rolling back to whatever version preceded it. This may be easier said than done, but my experience allowing Automatic Updates for the previously installed IE version may be useful. It is uncertain whether allowing subsequent Automatic Updates helped resolve the problem. Then reinstall IE6 online, either directly, or using the skeleton installer mentioned above.

Good Luck, please post if this solution works for you.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:58 AM