Consequences of restoring a SQL Server DB RRS feed

• Question

• I guess I could test this myself..but to be honest I thought that it might be interesting to get the discussion and answer recorded here in the forum.

Lets say I have a scenario where I have to restore a SQL Server 2005 database using a backup from yesterday. Lets say that some data has been deleted or modified in error, or that there is some other good reason for doing a restore from backup.

In this scenario I also have 10 SQLCE occasionally connected clients using bi-directional sync, that were last syncced at various times, some before the backup and some after.

What are the consequences in regards to a) the server database after restoration, once the clients start attempting to sync and b) the SQL CE clients?

Does each client have to be reinitialized so they don't effect the Server? 

For instance, if there is a client that syncced with the server just before restoration and now is in a state similar to the Server prior to that restoration, upon the first sync after restoration will that client simply revert the Server back to its erroneous state?  And then pass on that state to each of the other clients as they sync with the server?  

If not, what happens to the SQL CE database?   Is it possible to end up with SQL CE databases that are all out-of-sync with each other, some with data that is orphaned?

What are the suggestions regarding the process that should be followed in regards to the Clients if a Server database is restored?

Thanks

Glen

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:32 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Glen,

The MSDN documentation discusses this situation and provide possible solutions. Take a look at this page.

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Glen,

The MSDN documentation discusses this situation and provide possible solutions. Take a look at this page.

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:52 AM
  • Thanks Rafik.  I'll try harder to 'RTFM' before posting next time.

Cheers.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:51 AM