migrating XP with key , installed in packard bell to a acer aspire 5920 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

just have a second hand laptop acer aspire 5920 with no operating program , on the other hand I have a pre installed windows XP and keys from a Packard bell pc ,still in use for the moment,which I won't be using any more soon..Is it possible to transfer the XP from the pc to the laptop, providing of course using it only in one computer?

thanks for any help

cheers

Daniel.

Friday, November 1, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

• Pre-installed Windows licenses cannot be moved to another computer.

Is there a COA sticker on the case of your 'new' computer? if so, for what version and edition of Windows?

It looks like it shipped with Vista installed? You could see if Acer will ship you a set of Recovery disks for it.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:42 PM

All replies

• That depends.  If the install on the Packard Bell is a Retail one, then you should be able to transfer it.  If however it is an OEM build, then it is made to be used only with the hardware on which it was originally installed.  Check the COA Label to see if it says OEM in the activation key.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Pre-installed Windows licenses cannot be moved to another computer.

Is there a COA sticker on the case of your 'new' computer? if so, for what version and edition of Windows?

It looks like it shipped with Vista installed? You could see if Acer will ship you a set of Recovery disks for it.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:42 PM