Which Windows Vista Ultimate license do I have? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a few copies of Vista Ultimate that came with my Intel Retail Edge bundle purchase. I want to know what license version I have with these, whether it is OEM, Retail, or something else (I know it isn't upgrade; maybe a volume license perhaps?) The reason I want to know this is because I am going to upgrade the motherboard on the computers I installed these on, and I know the OEM version doesn't allow for this, but the Retail version does.

So far all research I have done indicates that this is indeed a Retail version, but I want to know for sure by asking Microsoft themselves, as it is hard to be certain since the Product ID starts with a relatively uncommon number. The Product ID looks as follows:

89587-447-XXXXXX-XXXXX

I also have a copy of Windows XP Professional SP2 that I received the same way a few years earlier, and I have the same question about it. Its product ID starts with:

76487-016-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

I know that usually the second set of numbers would say OEM if it is an OEM version instead of having numbers, but not always, hence the uncertainty. So which license do I have with these Product ID's? If it is not Retail or OEM, then what is it, and am I still allowed to transfer it? I asked the intel sales people by email and they don't seem to know the answer to this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:21 AM

Answers

• 1. Download and install the MGA Diagnostic Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the MGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard".

3. Paste the results in Microsoft Word or Notepad.

4. Look for the line that reads "Windows License Type".  It will read either OEM or Retail.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:26 AM
  •  AlphaWolf_HK wrote:

So I guess I can transfer these copies to another PC as much as I want? (Provided the copy on the old computer is removed, of course.)

Yes, that's correct

AlphaWolf_HK wrote:

I also have one brand new copy of Windows Vista Home Premium that I just received, but I don't have it installed on any computer yet. How do I tell whether or not it is an OEM copy before I install it, potentially locking it to that computer? Is there any tool out there that will tell me the product ID and type just by entering in the key?

Vista gives a 30 day grace period before you are required to Activate and the OEM version is tied to that computer only after you have Activated it.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:34 PM

All replies

• 1. Download and install the MGA Diagnostic Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the MGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard".

3. Paste the results in Microsoft Word or Notepad.

4. Look for the line that reads "Windows License Type".  It will read either OEM or Retail.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Ah ok, never knew about that tool.

In all of the machines I have running - both XP and Vista - I get this:

Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail

So I guess I can transfer these copies to another PC as much as I want? (Provided the copy on the old computer is removed, of course.) After looking around, I have noticed that some people have an "ID Type" number other than 5 for retail, what does this mean?

I also have one brand new copy of Windows Vista Home Premium that I just received, but I don't have it installed on any computer yet. How do I tell whether or not it is an OEM copy before I install it, potentially locking it to that computer? Is there any tool out there that will tell me the product ID and type just by entering in the key?
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:01 AM
  •  AlphaWolf_HK wrote:

So I guess I can transfer these copies to another PC as much as I want? (Provided the copy on the old computer is removed, of course.)

Yes, that's correct

AlphaWolf_HK wrote:

Vista gives a 30 day grace period before you are required to Activate and the OEM version is tied to that computer only after you have Activated it.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:34 PM