Warning message about FAT32 when backing up files to a WDElements 500GB external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I attempt to back up my files to a WDElements 500GB external hard drive OneCare is giving me a warning that "it does not recommend using a FAT32 device for backup. Use an NTFS device instead."

What does this mean?

I've tried clicking the Learn More and Learn more about backup devices links and neither of these links are working. I've tried looking for help elsewhere on OneCare about this problem and I can't find this issue mentioned anywhere.

I've only just started using OneCare as part of the free 3 months promotion and this is the first problem I've had but its very frustrating that its so difficult to find out any information to help with this problem.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:22 PM

Answers

• NTFS is a newer and more stable file system than FAT32. If you have data on your external drive that you would like to preserve you can use the convert command to convert the file system from FAT32 to NTFS. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to run the convert command - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097

If there is no data on the drive or no data you wish to keep go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. In disc management find the external drive, right click the space to the right of the drive letter and select "Format", then select NTFS file system. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:02 AM