360 degree panorama is no longer 360 degrees RRS feed

• Question

• Ive installed ICE v2.0 and I'm currently using it for the first time with a 360 degree panorama that I shot yesterday. Ive come across a dilemma. When I go to the second to final step (Crop) to see what the finished image looks like, it's nowhere near 360 degrees! I now have about a third of the original panorama. The software stitched all the photos together initially and I could pan around the whole image in a continuous circle in Stitch mode. I saw a selection with a graph in Stitch (with corrections for roll, pitch and yaw) and I assumed that this highlighted where I wanted the middle of the image to be. Though apparently, it crops the image, chopping off the left and right sides of it. This only became apparent when I went into Crop mode.

Previously, I thought that all the cropping was done in Crop. Though it seems that some cropping is done in Stitch as well which took me by surprise. So I guess that Crop must be used for the final crop.

Sorry to ask a silly question but how can I get the whole 360 degree image to be retained through to the final stage?

Edit: something else weird has just happened. I went back and forth from Stitch to Crop and the image has disappeared.

Monday, February 23, 2015 8:44 AM

All replies

• Okay problem seems to be fixed. I did some more experimenting. Don't know why the image was so heavily cropped last time considering that I had the zoom set to it's widest ('minus') setting. I tried some more options – spherical, cylinder, perspective etc – pretty much all of them. I settled on spherical as that seemed to give me the widest view while looking relatively normal. Though the image extended outside of the grid pattern in Stitch mode so I thought it was still going to be ruthlessly cropped but not as much as before.

To my surprise, and relief, it was not. In Crop mode, it looked like I ended up getting the full 360 degrees. Though I'm puzzled why I'm getting significant chunks out of the image along the top and bottom. Not only did I use a tripod during the shooting but I also made use of the grid lines in the camera's viewfinder when lining up adjacent shots during pans and tilts. Obviously, I didn't expect it to be perfect but seeing the completed panorama (minus cropping), it almost looks like a drunk person was operating the camera lol.

Monday, February 23, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Please don't drink and shoot panoramas. (Just kidding!)

Sounds like ICE automatically chose perspective projection for your first attempt.  It's impossible to project a full 360-degree view to a flat image using a perspective projection, so ICE limits the cropped result to no more than 120 degrees in this case.  As you discovered, spherical projection allows 360-degree results, as do all the other projections except orthographic (180 degrees only).

The top and bottom may be missing chunks because ICE couldn't find enough features to match the images up -- the bottom status line in the Stitch page reports how many images are included.  You can try the automatic image completion button on the Crop page to fill in missing areas, or you could use the Structured Panorama mode, if your images were shot with consistent overlap on a very regular grid of angles.

Hope this helps!

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

• Proposed as answer by NateLawrence Thursday, February 26, 2015 11:53 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Thankyou Eric. Yes, that's what I assumed initially - that ICE was not using all of the photos that I supplied, hence the missing chunks. Well really, it's one big chunk on the bottom edge that I'm a little fussed over. I looked down at the text on the bottom of the screen and it said: "85 images of 85 are stitched" or something like that. So looks like all the photo files were used. Yea, I'll see what Image Completion can do. I don't think my shooting technique will be perfect enough for Structured Panorama. I did shoot in a grid-like pattern using the viewfinder grid lines and I took care when doing so but it's definitely not perfect. I get the impression that Structured Panorama is for those robotic panning devices that are ultra precise and super accurate. I think I'd prefer ICE to look for features in my images and link them up. And I was pretty impressed with the stitching. Even the ocean turned out better than I expected (except for one dark blue chunk that sticks out like a sore thumb.)

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:08 AM
  • Yes, Structured Panorama mode is intended for robotic panning devices, but it also works for manual sequences.  As long as the images are shot in the proper "zigzag" or "serpentine" grid pattern, it should be fine.  The "Search radius" setting controls how far ICE will look for matching image features -- this should be near zero for robotic devices where the overlap is known precisely, and somewhere between 10 and 50% of the image width for less precise shooting.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:38 PM