restoring outlook plus business contact manager RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive crashed so I bought a new computer.  I had used one care with my old computer so had backed up the computer 2 days prior to the crash.  I did a complete restore using the one care program.  Now I am trying to get the data back into my outlook with business contact manager program.  (my contacts, stored emails, and business contacts, etc).  How do I do this?  When I try import, I can't find the files.  I did a search of .pst and it didn't show any.  Plus I tried to import business contact manager but the large file on my hard drive doesn't appear to be the extension it is looking for in the import program (eg. it wants .bsm and mine is .bsp (not sure these are the correct letters but you get the idea....). 

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:48 AM

Answers

• I don't have the Contact Manager part of Office installed, so I can't tell you about the file types, but the .pst file would have been backed up with OneCare as long as you selected the Mail files option. The Contacts Manager file may be in type Other, but I don't know that.

The restore wizard would likely have placed your pst file into another folder on the hard drive, unless you restored before installing Office and if you created the exact same Windows User name on the new PC.

The Help text for OneCare specifies the following procedure for importing:

1. Start Outlook.
    2. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    3. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    4. Under Select file type to import from, click Personal folder file (.pst), and then click Next.
    5. Click Browse, and then select the folder where you restored your files.
    6. Under Options, click Do not import duplicates, and then click Next.
    7. Under Select the folder to import from, make sure that the top-level folder of the mail that you're importing is selected and that the Include subfolders check box is selected.
    8. Select the folder where you want to put the imported files, and then click Finish.

The Help Text also refers to this for the alternate location:

"Usually, the folder name begins with C:\Restore, followed by the date of the restore operation."

If you encounter problems with this or need more help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:44 PM