whs connector upgrade "this operation cannot be completed at this time" RRS feed

• Question

• hi all
        i am getting v. angry with whs i have it on 3  pcs and they all say upgrade the connector software but when i do it i get the error message. i have del the program and gone to the software folder and installed it again and it was green for a day then it did something and i have the red square back. please help me to get it working again. i am begging to get drown to the mac world save me!!!
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    which version is shown in the console of your Windows Home Server under Settings/Ressources? (Should end with .2030.)
    And which is the date of the msi files in the share \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:51 AM
  • Olaf,

I am having exactly the same problem as Omnisonic..

On 29 May, WHS connector notified that a new version is available. It connects to the server, pauses for about 10 seconds and responds: "This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If problem persists, please contact Product Support."

All four computers in my network give this message. Each one tests okay per the troubleshooting document linked to in the error message. Thy also test ok using the connection troubleshooter in WHS Toolkit 1.1 running in advanced mode. I have been monitoring several similar threads and trying various suggestions without benefit. I think someone with the necessary knowhow needs to connect or combine these thresds in order to focus attention on what appears to be a widespread problem.

In the meantime, WHS will not backup and I have no backup protection. But the server is otherwise functional. Unless I can resolve this soon, I'm going to have to install Ghost 12 on the PCs to do the backups to the server. If this is never resolved, doing nothing is not an option. I'll have to replace WHS with an equivalent series of products, not what MS has in mind I'm sure.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Sending from the Oregon Cascades
    Frank
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Olaf,

I am having exactly the same problem as Omnisonic..

On 29 May, WHS connector notified that a new version is available. It connects to the server, pauses for about 10 seconds and responds: "This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If problem persists, please contact Product Support."

All four computers in my network give this message. Each one tests okay per the troubleshooting document linked to in the error message. Thy also test ok using the connection troubleshooter in WHS Toolkit 1.1 running in advanced mode. I have been monitoring several similar threads and trying various suggestions without benefit. I think someone with the necessary knowhow needs to connect or combine these thresds in order to focus attention on what appears to be a widespread problem.

In the meantime, WHS will not backup and I have no backup protection. But the server is otherwise functional. Unless I can resolve this soon, I'm going to have to install Ghost 12 on the PCs to do the backups to the server. If this is never resolved, doing nothing is not an option. I'll have to replace WHS with an equivalent series of products, not what MS has in mind I'm sure.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Sending from the Oregon Cascades
    Frank
    It's definitely not widespread (otherwise this forum would be flooded with complaints).  Do you have any add-ins/apps on your server (either currently, or previously but uninstalled them)?  If so, which ones?  If nothing else, you could always file a bug report on Connect.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:59 PM
  • I ran into the same issue.

I uninstalled the Connector software and reinstalled it by running the setup.exe.

Here are my current file versions:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

Is this expected?

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Same thing happens to me, I am unable to update. Today I reinstalled the console and I was able to backup the main computer, but it was the former version, not the updated one.

As for the add-ins, I have lights-out, mymovies, filecopier, utorrent and avast antivirus. The only one I think it could give me trouble is avast, maybe I try unisntalling it to see what happens.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Plain vanilla, Olaf. I did install the motherboard's audio driver along with the other board level drivers, but that's it. I suppose I could uninstall it as I don't use the box for sound, but that's a bit farfetched.And I have the same component versions installed as Lambert Green reports.

Frank

Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:21 PM
  • The question is, if the software in \\server\software\home server connector software is the current version.
    If this is not the case, the installation will not bring you to the matching version on the client.
    That's why I asked you for the file dates of the files of type msi in that folder. (Here for the German version it's the 21st April 2009.)
    Olaf
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:46 AM
  • The answers are:

WHSConnector.msi            13,816 KB     4/20/2009  10:19 PM
         WHSConnector_x64.msi     14,866 KB     4/21/2009  12:26 AM

I think the version is the same as yours.

Frank
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi Frank,
    I would try to uninstall the connector software, delete the Windows Home Server folder on the client, remove the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server in the registry and reboot.
    Then I would try to install either from above share or via http://server:55000.
    If this fails also, we need to know, when exactly the connector software installation fails and more detailed error messages (also errors and warnings from the event log on the server).
    Olaf
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Hi, Olaf!

Thanks for the new advice, but I have already found a workaround thanks to your posting of Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:46 AM. It is essentially the same approach as suggested in your current posting. I started thinking about whether I had tried direct-installing the correct updated version. So I took more care and had success.

1. I ran ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe in the advanced mode and made sure I had a clean bill of health.

2. Then I copied down WHSConnector.msi (dated 4/20/2009) and setup.exe (dated (3/10/2009) to a local location.

3. Then I uninstalled my current version of WHS Connector.

4. Finally, I ran (local) setup.exe to install the 4/20/2009 version of WHSConnector.msi.

Now I have sweet little green houses in the system tray of each of my computers and they all show up in the server console as available for backup.

I think I got in a hurry and used the wrong executable when I first tried this workround. I think the problem I had is in the garbage provided to make the update quick and easy. Just the file and the instructions are all anybody really needs.

Thanks for your help.

Best greetings from Central Oregon,

Frank
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hi, Olaf!

Thanks for the new advice, but I have already found a workaround thanks to your posting of Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:46 AM. It is essentially the same approach as suggested in your current posting. I started thinking about whether I had tried direct-installing the correct updated version. So I took more care and had success.

1. I ran ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe in the advanced mode and made sure I had a clean bill of health.

2. Then I copied down WHSConnector.msi (dated 4/20/2009) and setup.exe (dated (3/10/2009) to a local location.

3. Then I uninstalled my current version of WHS Connector.

4. Finally, I ran (local) setup.exe to install the 4/20/2009 version of WHSConnector.msi.

Now I have sweet little green houses in the system tray of each of my computers and they all show up in the server console as available for backup.

I think I got in a hurry and used the wrong executable when I first tried this workround. I think the problem I had is in the garbage provided to make the update quick and easy. Just the file and the instructions are all anybody really needs.

Thanks for your help.

Best greetings from Central Oregon,

Frank

I am having the same problem only on 1 of 4 computers.  I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2, Windows 7 32 bit RC1, Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3, and Windows XP Home SP3 on two desktops and two laptops.  The desktop with Windows XP Home SP3 is the only one having the problem.  My versions are exactly the same as mentioned above on the Home Server information.  I am going to try Frank's workaround and see if that corrects it.  On that machine I get the Connector upgrade red icon.  I double click it, click upgrade.  It brings up a screen that says downloading software from your home server, please wait.  It sits about 10 or 15 seconds and comes back with an error that the action could not be completed at this time and to contact the vendor.  I try to go to http://server:55000 and get an Internet Explorer error page that it could not be reached.

Ed
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Hi Ed,
    you replaced server with the name of your server (have to ask this)?
    What happens, if you try to load this page from another machine or the server desktop?
    Do you have installed a Firewall software, which blocks port 55000?

Olaf
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Olaf,

Yes I did replace the server name with mine.  I am able to connect to that link from the other computers, just not that one.  I don't have any firewall software installed other than the default Windows firewall on any of the computers and I do not have any add-ins installed on the home server at all.  I figured leave well enough alone if it was working.  I thought it may have been a version mismatch of the .NET software that was on the server and what was on the workstation.  I installed all applicable updates on that machine last night which includes the .NET 3.5 family update which is also installed on the working workstations and the server.  Rebooted, tried the connector upgrade again to no avail.  I got the same results.  I am using a D-LINK DIR 655 router with firmware version 1.21, hardware revision A3.  Thanks!!

Ed
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hi Ed,
    since this may be result of a name resolution issue, please post the output of
    ipconfig /all
    on the client.
    Can you ping the server by name and by IP address?

Olaf
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Olaf,

I think that I was able to resolve it last night.  I followed Frank's fix and uninstalled the WHS Connector from the client.  Deleted the folder under Program Files and rebooted.  Once rebooted I reinstalled it from a thumb drive with the contents of the Home Server Connector software from the server.  Rebooted a 2nd time and was able to connect to the server, configure the backup and did a manual backup.  I have not checked as of today to see if the automatic backup took place last night.  I will keep you all posted.  Thanks to all for the help!!

Ed
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Looking at the files in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the server all DLLs are version 6.0.2030.0, but when Update for Windows Home Server (KB963032) was installed, it had updated the files for the Connector Software in the Share, but did not update the server, with what version is correct.

The files have been copied to C:\WHS, and are showing 6.0.2030.2.

My WHS has PP2 installed, it looks like the server needs updating not the client...

Regards
    PathFinder
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:59 PM
  • After a Reboot, it now reads 6.0.2030.2 in the Windows Home Server Console, under Resourses... The client will now connect...
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:39 AM
  • I am having the same issue as all of you folks. Same events occurred. I have several WHS servers on different networks. I have had this issue with all of them for some time.  XP, Vista, And w7. Same thing, all systems.  I have just stopped using the client and use on the browser only. This limits the functionality of the server. As the incremental auto backup was the primary benefit that justified the purchase and now that does not work! Many of my clients want to toss it.

Microsoft is getting another black eye by not correcting this issue. This could result in a recall of all WHS if they don’t address this. I find no fixes on MS. Has anyone corrected this issue? Death of a product?

Thanks

TimeSync

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi TimeSync,

Ensure all your servers are up to date with PowerPack3.   Uninstall the connector software on each Client PC.  Then from http://servername:55000/  download and install the connector software.

If that doesn't work start a new post (this thread is 6months old and now out of date) and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:32 AM