none
Home server information collector stopped working and was closed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've searched this error that just started yesterday (happens every 2-3 minutes) and so far only found this thread. It also happens to me when connected to my Work VPN. I am running Vista SP1 x64 and using the Microsoft PPTP Client to connect to a Microsoft RRAS Server. Oddly enough, I haven't used the computer for close to 2 days, so this error just appeared out of nowhere.

It appears to be tied to a service crash (or cause of) on my WHS box. When I RDP into it, I am prompted to Send an Error report because the "Home Server Transport Service encountered a problem and needs to close." The Error Reporting prompted me to send additional info automatically, which I did.

I'd happily file a bug report, but it looks like the Beta PP1 thread is closed. Has anyone found a resolution for this problem?

Thanks,

Matt
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hello all,

After performing numerous chkdsk runs, two SFC checks, and an Anti-Virus scan, I figured out the cause.

I hacked Windows Media Player 11 into WHS because of the limitations of the default WMC when streaming movies to an XBox 360 (no thumbnails for WMV being completely unacceptable). Somehow, Media Library Sharing was re-enabled through the WHS Connector Console. When I disabled all 3 (Music, Photos, and Videos) the problem immediately went away.

What led me to think the WHS itself may have been at fault was even after I removed the WHS connector from the Vista x64 machine, the Windows Home Server Transport Service would crash multiple times in a row on the WHS server itself with the following error:

Faulting application TransportService.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.4062, fault address 0x0000bee7.

With a few Windows Home Server Dynamic DNS service crashes thrown in the mix:

Reporting queued error: faulting application ddnss.exe, version 6.0.1800.0, faulting module wininet.dll, version 7.0.6000.16762, fault address 0x0001a0bd.

Both errors were shown in the Application Event Log, immediately followed by a Fault Bucket Error.

I have no idea why being connected to the VPN caused the error to pop-up on a client, but since I have an unsupported program essentially hacked into WHS, I'm going to close the bug report I filed.
    • Marked as answer by mevans336 Friday, January 9, 2009 5:06 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:06 AM

All replies

• Matt,

Have you just started to use a VPN connection and the error appeared, or is it just that the error has started after uing a VPN for some time?

If you could still file a bug report and it's supporting CABs via the Connect site that you referred to,I'm sure it will help the Team.

Also, what do the logs say on your server at the related time, is there any other details listed? 

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 6:12 PM
  • mevans336 said:

Hello all,

I've searched this error that just started yesterday (happens every 2-3 minutes) and so far only found this thread. It also happens to me when connected to my Work VPN. I am running Vista SP1 x64 and using the Microsoft PPTP Client to connect to a Microsoft RRAS Server. Oddly enough, I haven't used the computer for close to 2 days, so this error just appeared out of nowhere.

It appears to be tied to a service crash (or cause of) on my WHS box. When I RDP into it, I am prompted to Send an Error report because the "Home Server Transport Service encountered a problem and needs to close." The Error Reporting prompted me to send additional info automatically, which I did.

I'd happily file a bug report, but it looks like the Beta PP1 thread is closed. Has anyone found a resolution for this problem?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've already filed an internal bug for this issue. The bug isn't available via Connect because it's currently set to private because of the build(s) I'm running ;)

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, January 2, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Thanks, I also filed a bug today before checking this thread. I submitted the logs using the WHS Toolkit. Here's a link to the submission with the CAB submission: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=392334

Is there anything else I can do to help determine the root cause?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Hello all,

After performing numerous chkdsk runs, two SFC checks, and an Anti-Virus scan, I figured out the cause.

I hacked Windows Media Player 11 into WHS because of the limitations of the default WMC when streaming movies to an XBox 360 (no thumbnails for WMV being completely unacceptable). Somehow, Media Library Sharing was re-enabled through the WHS Connector Console. When I disabled all 3 (Music, Photos, and Videos) the problem immediately went away.

What led me to think the WHS itself may have been at fault was even after I removed the WHS connector from the Vista x64 machine, the Windows Home Server Transport Service would crash multiple times in a row on the WHS server itself with the following error:

Faulting application TransportService.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.4062, fault address 0x0000bee7.

With a few Windows Home Server Dynamic DNS service crashes thrown in the mix:

Reporting queued error: faulting application ddnss.exe, version 6.0.1800.0, faulting module wininet.dll, version 7.0.6000.16762, fault address 0x0001a0bd.

Both errors were shown in the Application Event Log, immediately followed by a Fault Bucket Error.

I have no idea why being connected to the VPN caused the error to pop-up on a client, but since I have an unsupported program essentially hacked into WHS, I'm going to close the bug report I filed.
    • Marked as answer by mevans336 Friday, January 9, 2009 5:06 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:06 AM
  • I get this error on one computer in my WHS setup, and only one. I don't have anything crazy turned on on the Server except for Whiist.

The computer in Question is a Vista Home Premium 32-bit machine. The Home Server Information Collector only crashes when the computer boots; never again (that I see -- it's not my computer but my girlfriend's).

I'm pretty stumped... I haven't tried reinstalling the Connector, but that would probably be a good step for me...? I don't know...

I am registered on Connect and was in the Beta -- I don't know what information I can supply that would also be helpful.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:41 AM
  • jrronimo said:

I get this error on one computer in my WHS setup, and only one. I don't have anything crazy turned on on the Server except for Whiist.

The computer in Question is a Vista Home Premium 32-bit machine. The Home Server Information Collector only crashes when the computer boots; never again (that I see -- it's not my computer but my girlfriend's).

I'm pretty stumped... I haven't tried reinstalling the Connector, but that would probably be a good step for me...? I don't know...

I am registered on Connect and was in the Beta -- I don't know what information I can supply that would also be helpful.

Hi,

Just file a bug with detailed repro steps and include CABs. We have information regarding how to provide CABs to Microsoft here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535

If we need additional information from you, we will follow up with you via Connect.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:24 PM
  • jrronimo said:

I get this error on one computer in my WHS setup, and only one. I don't have anything crazy turned on on the Server except for Whiist.

Hi,

Just file a bug with detailed repro steps and include CABs. We have information regarding how to provide CABs to Microsoft here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535

If we need additional information from you, we will follow up with you via Connect.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server

Thanks Laura. I sorta forgot about this, but I have just submitted my bug on Connect. It's ID number: 453495.

Thanks again!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:31 AM