Can WLOC be loaded to drive other than C? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a partitioned drive and am looking for ways to free up some C drive, which I could do if I removed Norton.  If I replace Norton with WLOC, can WLOC be loaded onto my D drive (which is the other side of the partition)?  There's room.  Does it give me the option of where I want to put it, and will it operate fine from there to protect the whole computer?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:44 PM

Answers

• One Care does not give the option of selecting install location and will default to the drive your operating system is installed on. To free up disc space on your C:\ drive you can reduce the space reserved for system restore, reduce the size of the recycle bin,reduce the size of your temporary internet files cache, move personal folders to another drive or my least favorite option, move the swap file to the D:\ drive.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:47 PM

All replies

• One Care does not give the option of selecting install location and will default to the drive your operating system is installed on. To free up disc space on your C:\ drive you can reduce the space reserved for system restore, reduce the size of the recycle bin,reduce the size of your temporary internet files cache, move personal folders to another drive or my least favorite option, move the swap file to the D:\ drive.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Oh, that's too bad.  I already freed up as much space as possible those other ways.  I need to remove something and move it to D before long or stop updating, one of the two.  The last update with Windows took up a bunch of room.  I don't understand why when they update programs like that they don't remove old redundant stuff as well.  It would help.  I have already repartitioned my drive once and don't want to do it again.  The problem is that every new update just loads up your computer more and never takes anything away.  Thanks for the info.  I may switch to it anyway since at least hopefully it won't take up quite as much room.  Norton is about 37 mgs, looks like,  Maybe WLOC is a little smaller.  I am not even sure if I am using Microsoft firewall that comes with the Windows updates or if I am using Norton's because I thought I was using the first and then I saw Norton had unplugged it with one of their major updates, so I assume they loaded their own, though I never opted to and don't want it.  So it might be that I could take off all Norton (and I don't know how to remove the other firewall or where it is or anything) and free up some room. 

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:13 PM
  • You can move the Windows Update uninstallers to your D:\ drive which will free up some space but if you are running so tight on space your best bet might be to either uninstall some programs and reinstall them to your D:\ drive or to resize your partitions. I haven't used Norton in years but 37mb seems small for an antimalware/firewall suite. My One Care folder for the 1.6 version is 93mb while the 2.0 beta is 136 mb and growing.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:08 PM
  •  

That's an interesting idea, moving the uninstallers.  I didn't know it would be okay to do that.  I guess just move them to a similar folder in D drive and move only them, right?  It would help, I think.  I have already moved anything that will let me to D drive.  Unfortunately, there is a bunch of *** that loaded with my computer that it won't let me removed, but other than that, I've pared it down, everything I can.  I could repartition if I really wanted to, but would have to pay someone to do it and it would be a mess.  Then I'd have to back up most of my photos and things on D to flash drive to make more space over there, and I use that stuff regularly, so don't really want to do that.  I like the idea of moving the uninstallers though.  Do you think I would need to call and have a Microsoft tech on the phone when I did that or not?  It seems so integral to the system that it scares me to move them.  I've never tried to move those before because of that.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:42 PM
  • They can be moved safely. The only use for them is if you have issues with an installed update, you can uninstall the update and roll back to the previous version of the patched file. You can actually copy them to a cd then delete them from your system. That would recover the most space.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:49 PM
  • I wondered what they were for.  Thanks.  Let me see how much room it makes. 

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:01 AM