PP2 Media Center Connect and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just installed the PowerPack 2 on my Home Server box and updated the Connector software on my PC running Windows 7 64bit. I don't see any link to Windows Media Center Connector, is Windows 7 not yet supported?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• Riyad Chowdhury said:

Hi,r

I just installed the PowerPack 2 on my Home Server box and updated the Connector software on my PC running Windows 7 64bit. I don't see any link to Windows Media Center Connector, is Windows 7 not yet supported?

This is a known issue on Windows 7 build 7000 x64. In order for this to work, you need to be on a later build of Windows 7 x64. I'm sorry
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:09 PM

All replies

• Riyad Chowdhury said:

Hi,r

This is a known issue on Windows 7 build 7000 x64. In order for this to work, you need to be on a later build of Windows 7 x64. I'm sorry
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Lara,

This was in the release document at this link today. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f219dd13-3d9a-4506-8be2-fbcc4e195415&displaylang=en 

The following is a known issue with the Windows Media Center Connector:

·      You cannot run the Windows Media Center Connector (MCWHSSetup.exe) on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Beta.

There is a known bug in the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Beta. To fix the issue, add the following registry key, and then reinstall the Windows Media Center Connector:

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center

Key: Ident

Value (REG_SZ): 6.0

Have done this but I can't find the new Connector Install that it says to run in the Setting of WHS Console. Am I missing something or is this really broke in Win7 x64?

Thanks,
    fasthair 

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:51 AM
  • fasthair said:

Lara,

This was in the release document at this link today. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f219dd13-3d9a-4506-8be2-fbcc4e195415&displaylang=en 

The following is a known issue with the Windows Media Center Connector:

·      You cannot run the Windows Media Center Connector (MCWHSSetup.exe) on 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Beta.

There is a known bug in the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Beta. To fix the issue, add the following registry key, and then reinstall the Windows Media Center Connector:

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center

Have done this but I can't find the new Connector Install that it says to run in the Setting of WHS Console. Am I missing something or is this really broke in Win7 x64?

Thanks,
    fasthair 

Please launch Media Center from the start menu. You may have to browse to the videos section (or another section) and see if it gives you the option to install MCWHSsetup.exe.

For some users this will work and for other users it will not.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Lara thank you for the quick response. It appears my Win7 is broke. I guess I will have to wait until Win7 goes RTM. I will say I have been able to connect with my WHS shares in MC already so I'm not sure what advantages I am missing.

fasthair
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:39 AM
  • fasthair said:

Lara thank you for the quick response. It appears my Win7 is broke. I guess I will have to wait until Win7 goes RTM. I will say I have been able to connect with my WHS shares in MC already so I'm not sure what advantages I am missing.

fasthair

I doubt you'll have to wait until RTM.  I sincerely believe there will be at least one more beta/RC version (probably summer time).
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I entered the following registry key and the Media Center connector installed successfully:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center]
    "Ident"="6.0"

You should be able to copy the key into notepad and save it as a .reg file then import it into your registry
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:19 AM
  • The following is a known issue with the Windows Media Center Connector:

Thanks,
    fasthair 

I just did this and it worked perfectly.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I have WHS PP2, a PC with Windows 7 build 7077 x86 and another with Windows 7 build 7077 x64.

No matter what I try, including the registry fix posted in this thread, rebooting the machine, re-installing WHS connector, launching the media connector from within WHS, or from the start menu, I still get the "unknown error" after entering the WHS password when running the media connector setup.

Although in this thread it is mentioned that this issue affects x64 versions of Windows 7, I am having the problem on both x64 and x86 Windows 7 build 7077.

I would have thought on such a recent build of Windows 7, that things should be working.  Any suggestions, or things to try?
    • Edited by dpkform Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:42 AM clarity
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I have WHS PP2, a PC with Windows 7 build 7077 x86 and another with Windows 7 build 7077 x64.

No matter what I try, including the registry fix posted in this thread, rebooting the machine, re-installing WHS connector, launching the media connector from within WHS, or from the start menu, I still get the "unknown error" after entering the WHS password when running the media connector setup.

Although in this thread it is mentioned that this issue affects x64 versions of Windows 7, I am having the problem on both x64 and x86 Windows 7 build 7077.

I would have thought on such a recent build of Windows 7, that things should be working.  Any suggestions, or things to try?
    Hi,

Windows 7 is still in beta. As changes to the code are made it is possible that regressions are introduced which will break a previously working feature. If the fix for a bug must come from the Windows Home Server team, updating to the latest client build will not resolve an issue. The best way to determine what is causing the bug you are experiencing is to submit a bug to Connect so the team can investigate.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:08 PM

Hi,

Windows 7 is still in beta. As changes to the code are made it is possible that regressions are introduced which will break a previously working feature. If the fix for a bug must come from the Windows Home Server team, updating to the latest client build will not resolve an issue. The best way to determine what is causing the bug you are experiencing is to submit a bug to Connect so the team can investigate.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Bug submitted to connect as: Unknown Error installing WHS PP2 Windows Media Center Connector on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 build 7077 client computers
    • Edited by dpkform Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:02 AM added html
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:01 AM