I may be a victim of software counterfeiting... RRS feed

• Question

•  

So I went to the Microsoft.com webpage and installed all updates and Windows XP Service Pack 2. Before then, I was running Service Pack 1 with no problems at all. Ever since I changed over to Service Pack 2, I have seen a popup at the login screen stating that I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. I also see a blue star in my icon tray at the bottom right corner of my screen and when I hover over it, I recieve the same message. This made me nervous so I went to Microsoft.com for answers. Apparently, no matter how I try to get help, Microsoft wants to charge me. Finally, I came across a thread where someone was discussing this issue and they said to go to the screen where my product key is supposed to be validated and I would see in the bottom left corner my error code in gray. They also said to go to the Validation Diagnostic Tool and copy the report which is pasted below. I then called the Genuine Advantage Support Phone Number and told them my product key on the back of my computer does not match the product key that is apparently being blocked. They suggested I either purchase a new version of Windows or go back to whoever did service on my computer before and that my computer was originally running Windows Millenium and has had a wrong product key used when converted to Windows XP Service Pack 1. That was seven years ago! Why after seven years did I never have a problem until I installed Service Pack 2 and why should I be responsible for paying someone else's mistake. All I want is my computer to run right again. It won't stop locking the screen and running very slow. I don't know if any one can help me but please try. I am ready to trash Windows all together and go buy something else. HELP?! Here is the Diagnostic Report if anyone knows what it means:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6V3JQ-4KKFG-P6C63
    Windows Product Key Hash: y/mQXpYmOmFQqeVL5f1wX3aAxb0=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-9986811-23278
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {88C6BDA6-CB06-4935-8C0A-57A82EF4A570}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{88C6BDA6-CB06-4935-8C0A-57A82EF4A570}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P6C63</PKey><PID>55274-644-9986811-23278</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1390067357-1957994488-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>786K1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20000914000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>5F73340701842049</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:25 PM

Answers

• Shannon165,

Right now, your Compaq computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer or with your retail Windows purchase to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or for another verison of Windows?  You mentioned Windows Me.

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

How did you "convert" to running XP SP1?  Did you purchase an XP Pro upgrade box in a retail store, or did you use a CD borrowed form someone?  If you do not have a CoA for XP affixed to the computer case or affixed to a retail package in which XP came, then it's safe to say that your upgrade from Me to XP Pro was never an authorized upgrade in the first place.  It would appear that the company or agency who owned the Volume Licensing Key being used by your installation of XP has recently changed it and that's why the key has become Blocked.

It is almost a certainty that your computer shipped from Compaq with a properly licensed installation of Windows, which as you stated was Windows Millennium Edition.  The solution to the problem is as simple as putting that installation of Windows Me back onto the computer.  Please consult Compaq tech support documentation for instructions on how to do this.

If you do not want to go back to Windows Me, the most economical way to keep Windows XP and yet be Genuine is to purchase a systembuilder/OEM license kit for XP Home Edition from a trusted local or online retailer or about $85-95.  here is an example:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

If you want to stay with XP Pro, the most economical way to do that is to purchase the Windows Genuine Advanatge Kit directly from Microsoft for USD $149.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:12 PM