Change Client PC name RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to change the client PC's name in WHS after it is part of WHS?  I ran the connector CD on my wife's laptop, however, the last time I re-installed, I left it the default mumbo-jumbo name as I have never had a home network before.  I noticed that when I logged into WHS.  I have since used the change computer name feature in control panel (XP Pro SP2).  However, WHS still shows the old name, even though the laptop shows the new name.

I realy just want to keep everything simple and easy to recognize.  Also, I haven't ran the backup yet, so if I can just delete the PC from WHS and reinstall the Connector CD, I'm not at the point of losing anything.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:53 PM

Answers

• This bug on Connect has complete instructions on how to remove a computer from WHS. There's nothing in the interface yet that will allow you to do this automatically.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hey Ken, Thanks for the info on removal.  I will have to remember that for future use. 

I think there must be a delay, as now WHS shows the laptop's new name now, after the unit fell asleep and I had to log on again (or maybe it needed me to log on again).

Thanks again

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:36 PM

All replies

• This bug on Connect has complete instructions on how to remove a computer from WHS. There's nothing in the interface yet that will allow you to do this automatically.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Hey Ken, Thanks for the info on removal.  I will have to remember that for future use. 

I think there must be a delay, as now WHS shows the laptop's new name now, after the unit fell asleep and I had to log on again (or maybe it needed me to log on again).

Thanks again

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:36 PM