workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

any idea how to change the name of the workgroup? the button "change" (to rename the computer) is disabled.

cu Thomas
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Due to the way certain features of Vail are implemented, it is not possible to modify the name of the workgroup.

May I ask what you change the workgroup name for?

-Tom

http://www.tomontech.com
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Due to the way certain features of Vail are implemented, it is not possible to modify the name of the workgroup.

-Tom

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hi Tom,

due to the fact that a small is a peer-to-peer network without an AD, using a workgroup with a personalized name has the comfort to have all systems "in a row" without the search in different groupnames. I would recommend that implementing a groupname should be asked during the installprocess, knowing that choosen groupname is fixed after selecting.  

cu Thomas
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Thanks Thomas, Did you file this as a recommendation via the connect site?

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Tom8445" wrote in message news:c821f644-cc1c-4228-9b58-859f3bb1ba39...

Hi Tom,

due to the fact that a small is a peer-to-peer network without an AD, using a workgroup with a personalized name has the comfort to have all systems "in a row" without the search in different groupnames. I would recommend that implementing a groupname should be asked during the installprocess, knowing that choosen groupname is fixed after selecting. 

cu Thomas
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hello Sean,

done..., you are welcome to vote on this here

cu Tom
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Thank you Tom

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Tom8445" wrote in message news:69073899-cd9f-45cf-9950-f816a543c1b3...

Hello Sean,

done..., you are welcome to vote on this here

cu Tom
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi Tom,

-Tom

Ken, How could you mark this as an answer when it was in fact a further question directed to the original poster? I would think it would be up to thomas to decide whether his question had been answered. other people including myself will be changing the workgroup name for the same reason that that thomas has noted

Rex Geissinger

Dont forget to mark a post as an answer if it is...
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Ken, How could you mark this as an answer when it was in fact a further question directed to the original poster?
    Because Tom Z. did answer the question.  The answer was "it is not possible to modify the name of the workgroup".

I would think it would be up to thomas to decide whether his question had been answered. other people including myself will be changing the workgroup name for the same reason that that thomas has noted  
    It can't be changed (that's why it's disabled from the server desktop).  If you want to be able to set the workgroup name during installation, please vote on the suggestion above.

Rex Geissinger
    Dont forget to mark a post as an answer if it is...
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:34 PM