Remote Web Acces questions (port, own site) RRS feed

• Question

• My router is set up to forward port 80 connections to another machine and I would like to keep it that way. This makes me want to change the default Web access port to something else, but when changing the Bindings in IIS7 I am unable to connect to the site localhost:9991 (example port). Is it possible to change the port and have a working RWA or not?

I own several domains and the hosts have such things as Frontpage Extensions and similar I could use to run an IIS based site on, hence I would like to use my own domain for my RWA. How can I proceed to do this? Is it at all possible or do you require that we use accounts at GoDaddy or Live? A related question is what is Manufacture option? Please explain in detail.

Edit/ I found http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2011/06/how-to-manually-configure-sbs-2011.html and will read up on that.
    • Edited by R.Ainz Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:44 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:12 AM

All replies

• Ports: Windows Home Server uses port 443 and (optionally) 80. If you already have port 80 forwarded to another machine, you can simply educate users to type https://yourserver.homeserver.com.

Vanity URL: That blog post is specific to SBS Essentials; some of the wizards shown there don't exist in Windows Home Server 2011. For Windows Home Server 2011, Microsoft expects that you have only one server, and that your vanity URL will be obtained or configured through one of the providers they've partnered with. That would mean transferring the domain you own to one of those providers.

Bottom line is that, while it's technically not impossible to configure your domain manually on Windows Home Server 2011, it's neither supported nor easy. As a practical matter, I really think users with more advanced needs are better off with a more advanced product, such as SBS Essentials, that offers suport for their particular requirements.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Whats a Vanity URL?

Hmm, yes I am seeing how the global interest for the WHS series is declining in favor of SBS, which of course is sad since I really want to get this to work as intended (a filesharing portal for family and friends across the globe).

Friday, September 28, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Vanity URL (also called personalized URL) = "myname.something.com"

... is declining in favor of SBS ...

Microsoft is chasing the money, and *way* more units of Windows Home Server were sold into small and micro-businesses as a cheap backup solution than enthusiasts ever bought. Which is reasonable, really; Microsoft is in business to make money, and Windows Home Server (or even Windows Server 2012 Essentials @ $500, once released) is a relatively inexpensive tool for small business backups once you figure out the "per seat" cost of other solutions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:15 PM