none
"Ask a question" on the forums front page leads to nowhere RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on "Ask a question" on the forums front page, then enter the subject, message and select a forum from the long list, I get the (wrong) error message that I hadn't selected a forum to post to. But I did! Eventually I had to open a new window in which I first went to a forum and asked the question there, copying the entered text from one window's form to the other. That's stupid! If I cannot start a thread there, then please don't let me do it (i.e. remove that link). It's 2011...
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• Understood, we certainly do have some work to make posting with no context easier. I do think we want to enable that, but improve it going forward. I agree the big ugly list of categories isn't as useful and helpful as it needs to be. I'd like some auto complete sort of thing to just let the user type and find the place they want to post to, but that'll take a while.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:26 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Can you explain which url home page you are starting from and which category and forum you are selecting when trying to post?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:38 AM
    Answerer
  • I've started at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories and clicked on the link "Ask question" at the top of that page - not in a category! Then I get directly to the post form that has the additional list of categories. Which itself is quite a pain because the longer category list on the first page is much easier to read and understand. Selecting a category from that tiny box should not be done at all. And if it's necessary to put a question in a sepcific category, then why can I create a question in no category at all?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Understood, we certainly do have some work to make posting with no context easier. I do think we want to enable that, but improve it going forward. I agree the big ugly list of categories isn't as useful and helpful as it needs to be. I'd like some auto complete sort of thing to just let the user type and find the place they want to post to, but that'll take a while.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:26 AM
    Answerer
  • So where's the "beta" plate on your page header? This forum isn't supposed to run on production quality level, is it?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Yes, it is production. Thanks for your comments.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer